Author Topic: Local insurance providers ?  (Read 638 times)

Offline sary

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Local insurance providers ?
« on: 09:39 20-Apr-2017 »
I recently relocated to Ukraine and I have this mandatory insurance to get the temporary residency but I was told it's worthless. Now I am looking for a decent local health insurance provider that would cover private clinics in ukraine (Kiev) if its necessary to specify. again I was told public hospitals are not well equipped. I browsed through the form and the 2 companies that were given are no longer in business.
TIA

Online julienp

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 214
Re: Local insurance providers ?
« Reply #1 on: 10:21 20-Apr-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I recently relocated to Ukraine and I have this mandatory insurance to get the temporary residency but I was told it's worthless. Now I am looking for a decent local health insurance provider that would cover private clinics in ukraine (Kiev) if its necessary to specify. again I was told public hospitals are not well equipped. I browsed through the form and the 2 companies that were given are no longer in business.
To be honest, if you are relatively young and in good health, you better save cash and pay whenever needed a private clinic. I have a fancy health insurance through my wife job but never used it. Too much pain to arrange an appointment in some random place in Kyiv, while I have a decent private clinic 2 min walking from my flat.
When I nearly broke a toe, I had multiple doctor visit, a CT scan (with a brand new device) all for less than 50$

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2541
  • -Receive: 3963
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #2 on: 11:00 20-Apr-2017 »
To be honest, if you are relatively young and in good health, you better save cash and pay whenever needed a private clinic. I have a fancy health insurance through my wife job but never used it. Too much pain to arrange an appointment in some random place in Kyiv, while I have a decent private clinic 2 min walking from my flat.
When I nearly broke a toe, I had multiple doctor visit, a CT scan (with a brand new device) all for less than 50$

Wow you got modern poop. All I have is the old Soviet Free Medical deal. A little scary...but not too bad actually.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online BobLviv

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 127
  • -Receive: 68
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
« Reply #3 on: 11:14 20-Apr-2017 »
In addition to the other reactions, there are international medical centres around. Elsewhere on this nice forum one (Doctor Sam) is mentioned and we ourselves (in Lviv) are satisfied with the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. As you please, you could have an informative glance there on what they offer  ;)

Edit/added: AMC does provide a "please as you go" service. Register and you could use their services against individual payment. This includes house-calls and other assistance as appropriate. Ask them for the details.
« Last Edit: 11:25 20-Apr-2017 by BobLviv »

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1688
  • -Receive: 3878
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #4 on: 16:13 20-Apr-2017 »

Wow you got modern poop. All I have is the old Soviet Free Medical deal. A little scary...but not too bad actually.

When you're next in Kyiv, perhaps:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   ??? ???

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Offline Hairball

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • I live here....
« Reply #5 on: 18:26 20-Apr-2017 »
I use PZU.com     It ig great at $55 a year. I had to use it last year. No problems and a new bright cheerful medical center

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1803
  • -Receive: 1366
« Reply #6 on: 20:43 20-Apr-2017 »
Hairball must have meant  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He's getting old and forgetful in his senior years!   :D :D :D
« Last Edit: 21:55 20-Apr-2017 by AkMike »
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline JTF

• Site Admin
  • Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 144
  • Have no fear!
« Reply #7 on: 02:22 21-Apr-2017 »
AFAIK PZU has corp medical insurance only.
Not for individual clients.
Inquired while renewing Car Insurance.
Що Що!!?

Offline sary

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: 14:32 21-Apr-2017 »

Well I didn't know it's that cheap here thanks for the info.

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1803
  • -Receive: 1366
« Reply #9 on: 15:15 21-Apr-2017 »
Medical and dental is very cheap here compared to other parts of the world IMO.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2897
  • -Receive: 1230
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #10 on: 18:20 21-Apr-2017 »
Medical and dental is very cheap here compared to other parts of the world IMO.

Yeppers. 

I just had a root canal a couple weeks ago.  A young, professional and very competent dentist, not the most modern equipment, but everything in good working order and he wasn't shy with the Novocaine (or w/e he used) either.  It required a second visit to complete, but they're a 5 min stroll from the apartment and I need the exercise so a win, win.  Doc met us at the door and ushered us into the room post haste and got to work.  Visit one about 25 mins and #2 was done in less than 15 incl. the follow up x-ray to confirm he got it all.

About $50 USD, incl. the x-rays.

Have another RC to schedule in a week or so.
One out of three Hillary voters are just as crazy as the other two.

Offline Danno99

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #11 on: 20:17 28-Apr-2017 »
Sounds like it makes sense to drop my current provider and save a year or twos worth of payments if I can get coverage there.

Or what if I dropped my current plan after it met the requirements for visa?

Thoughts, suggestions?

*I think I currently pay like 300 something a month.
Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Offline cc3

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 514
  • -Receive: 781
« Reply #12 on: 05:36 01-May-2017 »
For my visa 'D' application in late 2015, my wife found a legally satisfactory (for the UA gov) one year policy for me for the grand total of UAH 500.
"But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simpleminded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom."

Ronald Reagan

Online frank1010

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 166
  • -Receive: 232
« Reply #13 on: 02:51 02-May-2017 »
For my visa 'D' application in late 2015, my wife found a legally satisfactory (for the UA gov) one year policy for me for the grand total of UAH 500.

For a D Visa no insurance is required. However for TRP insurance is required. When I got my TRP local Ovir sold me a one year medical insurance "for expats" by vienna insurance at 550 UAH.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 811
  • -Receive: 1132
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #14 on: 04:16 02-May-2017 »
It's kind of a deal where if you have say $1000 in savings, and don't get in an accident with months of surgery and hospitalization and aren't going to have a stroke or terminal cancer, probably that $1000 is enough for most ordinary treatment, like broken bones, having your appendix out, or maternity.  Only the big ticket stuff is difficult to pay out of pocket or a situation where you need to have some of the best treatment in Ukraine to have a reasonable chance of survival. 
In Ukraine, open heart surgery will usually cost under $20000.   A general rule of thumb might be that Ukrainian medical treatment is going to cost about one sixth of what unsubsidized treatment costs in a Western country.  A ride in an ambulance is less than $100, I think, about half the cost of one in... Mexico.