Author Topic: Steps for Buying a Used Car  (Read 1293 times)

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2663
  • -Receive: 4144
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
Re: Steps for Buying a Used Car
« Reply #15 on: 23:37 08-Jul-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Took us all day to get a car there, we were picky. But got what my wife wanted..... I made them take UAH for the payment though as they asked for USD.

Do you remember,

1.  How you checked if the car had debts?
2.  How you transferred title to your name / registered it with the govt?
3.  How you arranged the mechanic's inspection. 

[Any pointers on these much appreciated.]

BTW, here is a Jeep Compass, same year as the wreck above, in good working order, serviced by a dealer, for $1,300 less.   Astonishing what people are willing to put up with in terms of being fleeced. 

So, last year's model Jeep, in great condition, is 1,300 dollars less than the same model smashed into a wall and turned into scrap metal in Ukraine. :-X

All that poop was done in the main office! The mechanic we brought with us, but still had to have their own look at it to get a blue stamp. All docs and payments were done in the little office. Insurance we had to get on our own at home.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline Danno99

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #16 on: 20:25 15-Jul-2017 »
You mentioned a Pickup, I dont know that I have ever seen a pickup truck in Ukraine, are they rare or have I just not been noticing?

You've got it pretty well summed up for used cars,Reggie.  For shiney new cars the dealer will have clean ones that are legit. IMO few worries.

Make sure that the vin numbers are checked before purchase! That includes the frame numbers as well as the window tag.

At the time of the registration they'll check the numbers, crawling under the car and if it's 'doctored up' they'll take it away from you on the spot, because it's probably stolen from  some other place in the world.  ::)

I bought my pickup used from a used car dealer in Kyiv. I did my own inspection of all the numbers as well as the mechanical.  it was consigned and the owner wanted cash. (Greenbacks even) The notary handled the transaction paperwork and clipped the corner off the trucks 'passport' to show it was invalid. With paperwork in hand I wandered back home and had my 'fixer guy' handle the new registration.

Edit to add: The notary gave me the red colored temp. plates that are good for 10 days IIRC
Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1944
  • -Receive: 1478
« Reply #17 on: 20:49 15-Jul-2017 »
They're not common.. But there are some around. Mostly Japanese 4 doors with a very short bed and all wheel drive.

I wanted a simple single cab, 4x4 with low range,with a long bed. I finally found a used one with 9000 kms (about 6000 miles) that was exactly like the one I was in the process of ordering new. $10,000 cheaper!

I've managed to haul 4 meter lengths of lumber in a 7' bed even.   ;D Then there were the loads of cement and brick that weighed about a ton.  :(

Another member here has a full sized 4 door long bed 1 ton dually that be brought in.  Now that's one that will stand out on the highway!
« Last Edit: 20:57 15-Jul-2017 by AkMike »
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: 20:59 15-Jul-2017 »
It even manages to get me around town.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1371
  • -Receive: 1135
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #19 on: 22:21 15-Jul-2017 »
it's good you have the bull bars on it; maybe some reckless drivers will think twice about getting too close.
Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: 02:42 16-Jul-2017 »
Oh Yah gotta have some bling!  :D

Offline Fillou

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 27
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #21 on: 23:16 16-Jul-2017 »
Is it better to have a diesel or petrol engine ? I'm wondering about it. I know both engines are sold in Ukraine but from your experiences, what do you think ? Thanks in advance.

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: 02:47 17-Jul-2017 »
If you're talking new cars consider the initial extra cost for the diesel VS gas. If you plan on keeping it forever and  racking up 114 kajillion miles then go with diesel. If not IMO stick with a gas engine, then you can convert it cheaply and easily to burn CNG at a reduced cost.

Some models don't give you an option though.  ::)

If you're talking a used car pick one that fits and is comfortable for your needs.

DO NOT pick a `Vette or Maserati for Ukraine roads though!!!   :D :D

Offline Fillou

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #23 on: 14:27 17-Jul-2017 »
Thanks Atmike !

There is a Ferrari In Mykolaiv, we always see it at night using the empty main road in the city center. Must be frustrating to have a Ferrari to drive back and forth on a 3 km straight road...

Online Darren Jones

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 74
  • -Receive: 92
« Reply #24 on: 09:52 18-Jul-2017 »
They're not common.. But there are some around. Mostly Japanese 4 doors with a very short bed and all wheel drive.

My Ukrainian mine was confused then  ;)

I see loads of "pickups" in Ukraine...Zaz tavria came in a pick up body, they just keep the covers on for a coffee machine shelter.

Offline Wanderer2

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #25 on: 23:09 09-Aug-2017 »
Worth noting for those that REALLY want to buy that 5000UAH Lada that just about runs, and the original owner has disappeared years ago.

There is a process where you can go to a notarius (assuming the previous owner has a doverinost), and get permission to drive the car for decades. For old cars this cycle seems to carry on almost endlessly, as with a general doverinost you not only have permission to drive the car for decades, but also to then go to a notarius again to sell it on in the same way.

Offline Jay

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 694
  • -Receive: 261
« Reply #26 on: 09:21 13-Oct-2017 »
This could look quite credible to many --especially if a little naive  ( not intended as derogatory observation)

ATTENTION! New driver setup

October 11, 2017 amn
In the used car market, scam schemes flourish.

In the used car market, scam schemes flourish.

Reports by  ukrainianwall.com

Ukrainians who want to buy a used car need to be extremely cautious - scammers do not get tired to invent new ways how to leave potential buyers with a nose.

Here, what cheating schemes when buying a car now in the course and how to bring out the dishonest seller to the clean water.

To pay someone else's credit

A relatively fresh way to deceive a gullible buyer is to sell collateral (credit) cars.

Since September 2016, the service centers of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine are obliged to check the encumbrances of movable property of the seller in the State Register of Encumbrances of Movable Property (GRODNO).

You can sell a collateral car in case of the consent of the bank for such a sale. But cunning borrowers forge such consent and, together with the contract of sale of the vehicle (TC), submit them to the registration window.

The car safely reregistered for a new owner, who receives a new certificate of registration along with the debt of the previous owner. But here the record from the GRODS is not deleted. To sell such a car the new owner can not, until he pays the debt to the bank.

"We have to choose: pay out a loan, sue, or look for a" new buyer "and forge a letter from the bank," - said the lawyer of the JCC DeJure, Andrei Pavlishin.

Auto by proxy and "doubles"

One of the most popular schemes among fraudsters is the sale of a machine by proxy. The seller, instead of the procedure of buying and selling a vehicle (TS) with the subsequent re-registration of the car to a new owner in the service centers of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, offers the buyer to buy a car "by proxy", i.e. to write out a power of attorney from the notary to the buyer with the right to dispose of the car.

At the same time, from the legal point of view, the buyer does not become the owner of the car. In the future, the power of attorney simply responds, and the car is put on the wanted list.

"When the" Rubezh "system is activated at a stationary police station or interactive police car cameras, such a car will be taken from a lucky buyer and returned to an unscrupulous, but lawful owner," said Andrei Pavlishin.

In practice, this scheme will look something like this: the owner of the car gives a power of attorney to his accomplice, he sells (transfers) the car to the buyer, and then the first owner simply annuls his power of attorney, says that the car was sold without his consent and requires the return of the property.

But such a fraud is quite expensive. The car can be waited a long time, and if they also start a criminal case, they can prove fraud on the part of the first owner and his accomplices.

It is easier to "sell" the car by proxy and take a loan secured by this car.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1371
  • -Receive: 1135
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #27 on: 11:23 15-Oct-2017 »
You can sell a collateral car in case of the consent of the bank for such a sale. But cunning borrowers forge such consent and, together with the contract of sale of the vehicle (TC), submit them to the registration window.

When I was recently shopping for a car, I came across this.  Car was in Kyiv.   Originally bought in Donetsk.   Bank credit.   Owner had his middle-man with a power of attorney try to sell the car.   Owner and wife were allergic to coming to main MREO (car registration office).   The owner lived in Western Europe.   Short version, the ownership of the car would not have transferred correctly and would have been subject to massive tax, upwards of 20-30% if I remember correctly.   Tried every trick in the book to get me to buy it.   After I learned what the story was - he still called and called, 2-3 times a day.   He had a "friend" in MREO that would have done the transaction for him, but didn't want me to have my own people check the ownership of the car out. 
Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2663
  • -Receive: 4144
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #28 on: 11:25 15-Oct-2017 »

When I was recently shopping for a car, I came across this.  Car was in Kyiv.   Originally bought in Donetsk.   Bank credit.   Owner had his middle-man with a power of attorney try to sell the car.   Owner and wife were allergic to coming to main MREO (car registration office).   The owner lived in Western Europe.   Short version, the ownership of the car would not have transferred correctly and would have been subject to massive tax, upwards of 20-30% if I remember correctly.   Tried every trick in the book to get me to buy it.   After I learned what the story was - he still called and called, 2-3 times a day.   He had a "friend" in MREO that would have done the transaction for him, but didn't want me to have my own people check the ownership of the car out.

Sounds legit.....for a ukrainian.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online ace123

• All this work and I get called:
  • Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 715
  • -Receive: 1967
    • Kiev Life
« Reply #29 on: 15:32 20-Oct-2017 »
    My wife just tried to sell her car BUT apprently it has a court order against it.

Wrong person - wrong address - all in 2010... some loan unpaid... ran away.. usual poop.

So - her Bro goes to the court and it can't be changed because:

- Her brother is not the person on the document
    - My wife is the only person who can clear it up BUT if she tries she is not the person in the court order... so will not be recognised.
    - The original judge has retired.

Welcome to Ukraine.

I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...