Author Topic: Receiving money from Western Union  (Read 386 times)

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2619
  • -Receive: 4089
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
Re: Receiving money from Western Union
« Reply #15 on: 20:02 27-Nov-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks for your reply, Fraucha.

Thing is, i cannot even find anything in writing on the internet that specifies the monetary limit. Do any of you see anything?

I think it's time to go home. I think I'm suffering from chronic PTSD from living in Ukraine! I have lost 2-3 days on this already.

Thanks again. Sorry for the rant!

Vivienne

Yes, it is extremely difficult to get straight answers out of the locals here. Eventually you cut through the BS and just plow through. Old Soviet Mentality runs deep here, even to people in their 40's, it will take some time to reprogram this country, it is not gonna happen in my lifetime, but some day....
None the less, accomplishing many tasks is just mind-numbingly stupid, backwards an often so perverted by reinventing the wheel superstition that you are kinda glad vodka is so damn cheap.

Going on my 9th straight year here....and some times I feel like:

Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1895
  • -Receive: 1449
« Reply #16 on: 20:31 27-Nov-2017 »

The last option is to have a TRUSTED local accept the WU cash and turn it over to you on the spot. BUT they'll be taxed on it so expect to pay for that  plus a gift for their time and effort.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Jay

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 687
  • -Receive: 259
« Reply #17 on: 22:55 27-Nov-2017 »
Send it $500 at a time.
You can collect at any one of 1000's of WU places in Ukraine. You do need id --passport is best.
Use a money changer booth  instead of bank.

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1789
  • -Receive: 3949
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #18 on: 23:03 27-Nov-2017 »

The last option is to have a TRUSTED local accept the WU cash and turn it over to you on the spot. BUT they'll be taxed on it so expect to pay for that  plus a gift for their time and effort.

I've never seen this before. My adult stepchildren have never had to pay tax on their birthday or Christmas presents. How does the collection of this tax work?

Thanks
"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1895
  • -Receive: 1449
« Reply #19 on: 00:56 28-Nov-2017 »
That's what my Step-Son told me. I don't know if you're supposed to declare it yourself or if the banks rat you out.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 817
  • -Receive: 1161
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #20 on: 03:49 28-Nov-2017 »
Unfortunately, while $2000 can be sent, not so many agents will pay that much out.  There is no uniformity about how large a transfer an agent will cash.  In your place, I would call several, some banks and some not.  A Western Union can easily be cancelled.  Money could then be wired to your bankcard, be it Ukrainian or American. 

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3045
  • -Receive: 1312
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #21 on: 09:06 28-Nov-2017 »
Unfortunately, while $2000 can be sent, not so many agents will pay that much out.  There is no uniformity about how large a transfer an agent will cash.  In your place, I would call several, some banks and some not.  A Western Union can easily be cancelled. 

Money could then be wired to your bankcard, be it Ukrainian or American.

YAHTZEE!!

And if you don't have a US bank act with a debit card (and are loath to open a UA one), then for GAWD'S sake use MONEYGRAM to send the cash (in smaller chunks) for way cheaper fees.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!!

Offline Brudder_A

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 41
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #22 on: 14:31 28-Nov-2017 »
I had $3,000 sent a couple of times. Once received at a Western Union site in Kyiv near L'va Tolstoy metro. The other time it was in Uzhhorod where I am based. No problems. getting.

Western Union had a limit of $5,000 to send from my YKPAIHIAH Credit Union account in the US but I could not successfully send it online.

When I just recently sent money for the purchase of the Ford Kuga - that was done via an opened bank account and the bank took a 0.8% transaction fee.

Online EnglishMKyiv

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 266
« Reply #23 on: 16:07 28-Nov-2017 »
A couple of years ago I collected US$2k sent via Western Union at OTP bank. I used the branch on the corner of Konstantinovskaya and Verkhni Val in Podol They have a WU sign in the window and a we speak English sign.

All they asked for was the WU code number and proof of ID, for which I used my passport at no time did anyone ask for my address or PR details.

Ukrainian banks don't like handing our hard currency and certainly don't like handing it out to non-clients of the bank/branch.

Some of the larger post office branches in Ukraine have WU stickers in the window so try them as well.

Finally UkrSibBank which is owned by BNP Paribas has a branch somewhere in Kyiv that deals solely with foreigners maybe you can track that one down if all else fails and see if they will do it

Good luck
We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 817
  • -Receive: 1161
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #24 on: 22:51 28-Nov-2017 »
Most Money transfers from the U.S. have a monthly limit, probably around $3000-$5000 although it may fluctuate.  The limit is, because Money Transfer businesses in the U.S. suffer more regulation relating to money laundering or terror funding, than banks do for wires, which have no limit.  When you are up in that price range a wire is cheaper anyway.  If your financial institution allows you to do an entire wire online, it really isn't that much more difficult, except you need information from the recipient, more than a name.  Also, at the upper limits you may endure interrogation by outsource people in India. 
   On Moneygram, I believe I mentioned you can pick up online, but the country of the card and the location of the pickup have to be the same for online.  For example, a Ukrainian with a Ukrainian bank account, would use Ukraine as the country the money is sent to, even if in another country, say Belarus.  And then it would be possible to pick money up directly onto a bank card from any country in the world.