Author Topic: Vodafone Annual Pre-Paid Sim Card  (Read 350 times)

Offline SteveH

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 975
  • -Receive: 242
Vodafone Annual Pre-Paid Sim Card
« on: 23:13 07-Aug-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

English speaking staff and Very helpful.
Vodafone Service "Red S" 500 Hgryvnas per Year, ?15 GBP Sterling,
4GB of Data per Month +2GB Bonus data for the first 6 Months,
Unlimited calls within the Vodafone network, Every Month,
75 mins within Ukraine (eg Kyivstar) and abroad, Every Month,
25 mins within abroad (eg to The UK), Every Month,
50 SMS&MMS within Ukraine and abroad, Every Month.
Activate as soon as you Arrive/Land, enabling Taxi call from the Airport etc;

Alternately, you could Pay 400 Hgryvnas per Month (4800 per Year) for a Similar package from Kyivstar, Without Calls Abroad.

Online Darren Jones

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 71
  • -Receive: 92
Re: Vodafone Annual Pre-Paid Sim Card
« Reply #1 on: 09:53 08-Aug-2017 »
Thanks for that, going to get it. Also I am not sure if it is still possible but when Vodafone first took over there was an option that if I was travelling back to the UK I could pay ?10 and call in the UK at UK rates and call Ukraine at Ukraine rates.

Whats Vodafones 3G like? Kyivstar's 3G is very good and Im in East Ukraine

Offline ConsciousHost

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 13
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #2 on: 11:31 08-Aug-2017 »
Thanks for posting. Some of the other options seem better to me because I rarely use the actual phone or SMS, only need data for WhatsApp and FB. Wish I could also get a similarly priced deal at home lol

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1789
  • -Receive: 3954
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #3 on: 12:08 08-Aug-2017 »
Thanks for posting. Some of the other options seem better to me because I rarely use the actual phone or SMS, only need data for WhatsApp and FB. Wish I could also get a similarly priced deal at home lol

That's my case too BUT the majority of cafes and coffee bars will have wifi. Just ask the waiting staff to add the password for you. You can then use Viber, Messenger or Skype as well as checking in on FB etc.

I just keep my UK SIM installed though my wife switches to a UA SIM as she only makes calls and sends the odd SMS to UA friends and relatives.

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3051
  • -Receive: 1314
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #4 on: 14:22 08-Aug-2017 »
Whats Vodafones 3G like? Kyivstar's 3G is very good and Im in East Ukraine

3G isn't as dependent on the carrier as much as its dependent on the infrastructure (cables, servers, etc) it runs through.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!!

Offline mrdwesty

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #5 on: 23:07 02-Nov-2017 »
I picked Vodaphone too, here in Kiev.

The package I went for had loads of UA minutes and texts, free to Vodaphone unlimited, 75 mins overseas and 12GB data on my old 3g iPhone 4s for 180 per month.
As previously said, there's wifi all over, but the 3G's been fine as well.

Hope that's useful for someone!

:)

Online Tnic

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #6 on: 07:50 03-Nov-2017 »
I just found out recently that the basic 40 (?) UAH SIM includes a gb or so of data.  Which means that if we're out on the street we can still use giggle translate (EN-RU & RU-EN) to be understood when we need it.  Offline I only had EN-RU.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!!

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1789
  • -Receive: 3954
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #7 on: 10:10 03-Nov-2017 »
I just found out recently that the basic 40 (?) UAH SIM includes a GB or so of data.  Which means that if we're out on the street we can still use giggle translate (EN-RU & RU-EN) to be understood when we need it.  Offline I only had EN-RU.

That is, I believe because you haven't downloaded the Russian language. Go to the giggling translation app and download the RUSSIAN language file.

When done, your app should show the downloaded languages similar to my iPhone below (note the Ukrainian language is downloaded)
"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Tnic

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #8 on: 11:10 03-Nov-2017 »
Yep, I did that too.  Still couldn't do both ways offline.

All's well now tho.  When we head out I simply toggle the mob. web and we can communicate better.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 817
  • -Receive: 1161
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #9 on: 02:05 04-Nov-2017 »
An interesting thing I might be trying next time I am in Ukraine, is Google's Project Fi:
This is mostly for the new Pixel phones and so not for everyone, but because of its special characteristics, it is a reason for some people to buy one of those phones.
The phone plan is $20 per month for voice and text, and then $10 per gigabyte of data.  The data sounds pricy, but:
You only pay for what you use and the data plan is good in a lot of countries, including I believe Ukraine and the price for data is the same $10, globally. 
Also, Pixel phones prioritize using WiFi wherever it is available, which is normal for phones, but for Pixel they automatically use the wifi even for voice, without changing a setting,  I think.
The latest Pixel phones don't require a hardware SIM for Project Fi.   But, they also have a slot for a normal SIM.  This means you can put a SIM for a Ukrainian or European carrier in the slot. 
This is not a dual SIM phone, where both SIMS work at once.   You switch a setting to choose which SIM you are on, the Fi  (soft SIM) or the Hardware, Ukrainian one.  But, I think you can forward things automatically, so you have everything on both phones when you use them.   

The phone for those living in a cave under Perchesk Lavra:

« Last Edit: 14:29 04-Nov-2017 by David Rochlin »

Online julienp

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 225
« Reply #10 on: 13:49 04-Nov-2017 »
An interesting thing I might be trying next time I am in Ukraine, is Google's Project Fi.

The phone plan is $20 per month for voice and text, and then $10 per gigabyte of data.
It's still 10 times more expensive than buying some kind of pre-paid SIM for whenever you are in Ukraine
And people (like the random taxi driver or delivery) will not want to call a non-UA number
It can be convenient if you travel a lot between country (and don't want to bother changing SIM in each plane) but if you spend a significant amount of time in a country you better buy a local SIM