Author Topic: Warning about Palanca crossing  (Read 361 times)

Offline Wanderer2

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 9
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Warning about Palanca crossing
« on: 23:17 09-Aug-2017 »
Recently I went on holiday to Moldova, and on coming back, was given no entry stamp for returning to Ukraine.

Seeing as my residency was up for renewal, (and so passport copies needed), this led to a day of stress, running back to the border, a stamp magically being placed in my passport, and being told "Вы только плохо смотрил" ::)

I couldn't convince the bus driver to stop, so if it happens to you you're likely to have to do the same thing, but double check your passports if taking the Palanca crossing.

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3051
  • -Receive: 1314
  • Gainfully unemployed
Re: Warning about Palanca crossing
« Reply #1 on: 02:26 10-Aug-2017 »
You'll generally only get entry/exit stamps at the Chisinau airport.  I never had stamps at land crossings and had no issues.  Now I have TRP and all's well.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!!

Offline Hairball

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 193
  • I live here....
« Reply #2 on: 09:21 10-Aug-2017 »
I know if you use the train you will get stamped

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2621
  • -Receive: 4090
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #3 on: 12:09 10-Aug-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Like this???
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online Tnic

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #4 on: 13:39 10-Aug-2017 »

Went to Chisinau from Odessa by train last Dec.  No Moldavian Stamps.  Have entry/exit stamps from UA border control tho.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!!

Offline speibl

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #5 on: 14:29 10-Aug-2017 »
Went several time from Odessa via Palanca to MD, by car. Always entry/exit stamps, both from UA and MD. But already 4 yrs ago.
Even had discussions when EXIT in Palaca about missing entry stamp, but explained enty from PMR.

Offline Wanderer2

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 01:45 11-Aug-2017 »
I always had entry/exit stamps from both Ukrainian and Moldovan sides at the crossing at Palanca (worth noting that this is the official Moldovan border, not Transnistrian), the train is a different question from what I gather as it also runs through Transnistria, although I've heard rumours that's changed in recent months and Moldovan border guards will now give you a stamp on the train.

I've had funny accusations and attempts at extorting bribes from being "an illegal immigrant" on the Ukrainian side, but that's a different story entirely.  :D

Online Tnic

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #7 on: 03:37 11-Aug-2017 »
Our train did not cross through Transnistria.  It obviously didn't transit Palanca as we only got stamps from the UA side.
« Last Edit: 06:10 11-Aug-2017 by Fraucha »

Offline Wanderer2

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 06:03 11-Aug-2017 »
Palanca is a road crossing between Ukraine - Moldova (with Palanca being the Moldovan side), and Palanca being an official Moldovan border point. It's just easier to write Palanca than Mayaki-Udobne/Palanca. ;)

Out of curiosity, which train did you take which doesn't cross through Transnistria? Every time I've done a Ukraine - Moldova journey I've taken the Palanca crossing by bus, as far as I knew there was only one train route (which passes through Transnistria).

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1789
  • -Receive: 3954
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #9 on: 10:52 11-Aug-2017 »
The train does in fact transit through Tiraspol. I understand this is now the ONLY train, it is newish and only operates ONCE a day on Fridays through Sundays.

It is further my understanding that those who were already on the train do not undergo a check by the Transnistrian officials, only those who board or alight at Tiraspol. As the train enters Moldova, you must ensure you have your entry date stamped into your passport as it seems the Moldovan "officials" don't bother. This may cause problems upon exit. If your passport is not stamped upon entry to Moldova, it is advisable to visit the Chisinau registration office (whatever that might be) and request a stamp (keep your ticket handy).

Information obtained from the net and Moldovan good friend Pasha.

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Tnic

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #10 on: 13:49 11-Aug-2017 »
Palanca is a road crossing between Ukraine - Moldova (with Palanca being the Moldovan side), and Palanca being an official Moldovan border point. It's just easier to write Palanca than Mayaki-Udobne/Palanca. ;)

Out of curiosity, which train did you take which doesn't cross through Transnistria? Every time I've done a Ukraine - Moldova journey I've taken the Palanca crossing by bus, as far as I knew there was only one train route (which passes through Transnistria).

It was back in Dec and I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but I do believe we transited via Tiraspol.  This was the (twice?) daily wooden seat rump buster, btw.  The platform was outside of the actual Vokzal proper in Odessa.

At the crossing, UA Border Control entered the train and inspected and stamped our passports.  We had no dealings with Transnistrian guards or Moldovan.  We took the bus back to Odessa with the same results.  Only UA Border Control.

Offline Wanderer2

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 21:18 11-Aug-2017 »
That sounds about right about the train, I've always avoided it so that I haven't needed to worry about getting to the immigration office in Chisinau and gone with what I thought was the simpler option of taking a Moldova-proper crossing - although this is crossing into the complications of Moldovan stamps ;)

The main point of my original post though is to make sure you get your Ukrainian stamps when entering/leaving by Palanca, just in case your local OVIR is of the stricter kind, or your passport gets checked for whatever reason. I imagine even the average traffic cop would jump on the missing stamp if they check your passport.

Online Tnic

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #12 on: 21:34 11-Aug-2017 »
No worries. 

Incidentally, that trip to Chisinau was for my D visa for the TRP.  UA stamps only and no problems from OVIR on that score.  We DID however have to dash to Krivoy Rog to remove me from my previous ZHEK registration.  Clear sailing after that (and the $100 special expediting fee).

Offline Wanderer2

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 23:46 11-Aug-2017 »
I don't think OVIR would have any problem with missing Moldovan stamps, it's the Ukrainian stamps that would be more of a problem, luckily it sounds like for the Ukrainian side the train has been more reliable. :)