Author Topic: Judge Roy Moore  (Read 356 times)

Online sosednik

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 71
  • -Receive: 183
  • Героям слава! Смерть ворогам!
Judge Roy Moore
« on: 03:54 14-Nov-2017 »
Probably this hasn't made headlines in Ukraine:

In about a month, Alabama is scheduled to hold a special election for the US Senate seat which was vacated by Jeff Sessions when Trump appointed him to the office of US Attorney General.

In the Republican primary, Luther Strange, who was appointed by the governor to hold the Senate seat until the newly elected Senator will take office, was defeated (despite a Trump endorsement) by Roy Moore, who (until a few days ago) was famous for twice being booted from the Alabama Supreme Court for defying Federal courts.

Last week, the Washington Post reported claims by four women who were teenagers in the late 1970s, who received romantic or sexual attentions from Moore, who was at that time in his early thirties.  The most serious allegation is that Moore brought a 14-year-old girl to his house (without parental consent), removed her outer clothing, touched her private parts through her underclothes, and placed her hand on his private parts through his underclothes.  Such conduct would have been at that time, and still today, a serious crime in Alabama, though the time limit for prosecution lapsed many years ago.

Note well that none of these women "came forward," but rather were found by the Post's reporters, and that they received corroboration of some of the facts from 30 other people they interviewed.

Now, the New Yorker is reporting that multiple sources in Gadsden (Moore's home town) that at the time of the conduct alleged by the Post story, Moore was banned from the local shopping mall for his repeated and unwelcome attentions to high-school girls there.

Some sources say that he was also banned from the YMCA for the same reason.

Moore flatly denies that he molested a girl younger than the age of consent (in Alabama, 16 years).

Meanwhile, today another woman says that when she was 16, Moore offered her a ride home, and then used force to press her head toward his crotch.  She showed her high-school year book, which she says Roy Moore had signed before this alleged assault.

Quotes from a serving police officer in Gadsden, who declined the use of his name in the press:

"I actually voted for Moore.  I liked him at one time.  But I'm basically disgusted now, to be honest with you.  Some of the things he's said recently, I've changed my tune completely about this guy."

"When I heard what he said on 'Hannity' the other night, I almost stood straight up.  The thing about how he's never dated anybody without their mother's permission, that appalled me.  That made me want to throw up. Why would you need someone's permission to date somebody?  I'm probably gonna write in Luther Strange."  (My emphasis added.)

Moore had been favored to win the special election, but now his Democratic rival has pulled even in polling.

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2594
  • -Receive: 4044
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
Re: Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #1 on: 08:02 14-Nov-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Probably this hasn't made headlines in Ukraine:

And won't as this is not news worthy in Ukraine.

Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 817
  • -Receive: 1156
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #2 on: 08:23 14-Nov-2017 »
As in the case of Trump voters, Alabama dwellers may be lying to pollsters about whom they will vote for, because well, they are embarassed about it.  The Dem is 4% ahead, but the shame factor could easily be a lot more than 4%.

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1865
  • -Receive: 1429
« Reply #3 on: 09:23 14-Nov-2017 »
That sounds like some of the antics from Bill Clinton..  :D :D
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online jbenet

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 850
  • -Receive: 670
  • Death to (your name here)!
« Reply #4 on: 18:03 16-Nov-2017 »
That sounds like some of the antics from Bill Clinton..  :D :D

Whataboutism aside, had ol' Billie boy pulled his poope nowadays, the repercussions would have been a lot worse. Speaking of Bill, I hear articles of impeachment were introduced in the Congress. Remember when Republicans tried to impeach Clintonius for something FAR LESS INSIGNIFICANT than what Herr Twittler has done?

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1217
  • -Receive: 973
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #5 on: 02:26 17-Nov-2017 »
Blah blah blah -- and more blah.

Hey, this is Minnesota Sen. Al Franken (Democrat) and one of Trump's detractors engaging in a sexual assault.  Trip to Afghanistan and he grabbed the sleeping reporter's boobs.   It's not a story, it's a photo of a real event.  He's a government official.  She also claims he forced his tongue into her mouth.

People play politics with this 'grabbed them by the p-ssy' stuff.  The same people that skewered Clarence Thomas, defended Bill Clinton. 

People are looking for political ammunition; "sexual assault" (in the realm of politics) is just a game for those people in high positions.  Some of the same people that are condemning it are also doing it, and nobody is really looking to address the issue in a sincere way.  They're looking for an angle to beat their opponents over the head and cash-in on some lawsuits.   The media is looking to sell advertising.  Everyone pretends to have 'legitimate' concerns over the issue.

My point isn't that sex assault is 'good,' 'bad,' or whatever; the point is that this issue won't get solved or properly addressed by politicians or the media because at the slightest opportunity it's used as a political weapon and a way to boost ad revenue. 

« Last Edit: 09:58 17-Nov-2017 by Reggie »

Online sosednik

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 71
  • -Receive: 183
  • Героям слава! Смерть ворогам!
« Reply #6 on: 19:43 17-Nov-2017 »
@Reggie:

You can write "blah blah" all you like, but based on the trends in Alabama polling, the state seems to have better than even odds of electing Democrat to the US Senate in a few weeks.

If Doug Jones wins:

1.  He'll be the first Democrat elected to the US Senate in Alabama in 25 years.

2.  The GOP majority will fall from 52/48 to 51/49, which is likely to have heavy substantive consequences for their legislative agenda, which is already looking to be the worst record in US history for a party holding both houses of Congress.

Before these allegations surfaced, the probability of Moore winning was estimated to be very high:  what we used to call a shoo-in.

This story is a triumph of old-fashioned American "shoe-leather" journalism, not the "new media" composed of "networks" that do almost no reportage but tons of punditry; conspiracy theorists on radio or podcast; and idiots blogging from their parents' basements.

Journalists went to Alabama, visited Moore's old haunts, talked with many people (at least dozens, but probably hundreds) who knew Moore and his history, and methodically put the puzzle pieces together.

Millions of people (including, of course, Moore himself) are attacking this journalism as politically motivated.  Whether true or false, it's 100% irrelevant.  TRUTH is TRUTH, whatever may be the intentions of those who reveal it.

Journalism is what they don't want you to publish.  Everything else, is just publicity.

Reggie, I agree with you that until a few weeks ago, the response to revelations of sexual misconduct by politicians has been something line 90% (or more) partisan.  However, this appears to be changing rapidly.

There's a sea change taking place in America, which might be hard to grasp from the vantage point of the Eastern Hemisphere.

I've noticed that "the right" (ironic name) loves to engage in what we now call what-aboutism.  When they are charged with wrong-doing, they point to an opponent's sins, as if two wrongs made a right:  and this from the side that claims that their moral values are absolutely and unquestionably superior.

Let me say this about Franken:

1.  Leann Tweeden has accused him of an incident of sexual assault not depicted in the photo.  That is a very grave charge.

2.  The photo is, in my interpretation, consistent with Franken holding his fingertips a centimeter or two distant from Tweeden's vest.  [Other observers will disagree, but consider ALL of the shadows in the photo; the placement of his left hand; and the risk that he would have wakened her had he made actual contact.  We know from Tweeden's testimony that she slept through this incident.]  If my interpretation is correct, then at least at the moment the photo was taken, what Franken was doing was not groping, but rather making a crude pantomime of groping.

Tasteless?  Yes.  An inexcusable offense against Tweeden's personal dignity?  I think so!  A second sexual assault?  On the basis of this photo, no.

3.  Reggie, having experience of law, can testify that in criminal or civil law meant to punish or deter misconduct, a principle which is essential to maintaining a sense of justice (though it is constantly violated in practice) is proportionality:  not all offenses being equal, the penalty for a heavier offense should be heavier than the penalty for a lesser offense.

A depressingly large number of public men stand accused of grotesque sexual misconduct, and it looks as though many, many more will join their ranks in the next few weeks, now that American women are feeling more hopeful that their stories might at long last be listened to with sympathy and respect.

However, most of those men have not been accused of child molestation.  Roy Moore has.

It seems almost certain that the Senate Ethics Committee will investigate Al Franken's conduct.  In fact, he has made a public statement asking them to do so.  If the Committee recommends that Franken be removed from office, I for one will not object.

But Americans will have to make some decisions about things most of us would prefer not to think about:  how do we compare a tongue-kiss forced on a woman, a man putting his hand on a woman's crotch without her consent (or even any prior intimacy), and the molestation of a 14-year old child by a District Attorney more than twice her age?

Are those alleged offenses equal?  If not, how properly to rank them?  In a system of proportional penalties, do they deserve the same remedy?

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 20:05 17-Nov-2017 »
@Reggie:

You can write "blah blah" all you like, but based on the trends in Alabama polling, the state seems to have better than even odds of electing Democrat to the US Senate in a few weeks.

I don't care who the people Alabama elect or don't elect.  They can elect Long Dong Silver for all I care.

My point was only that the American political system and media aren't sincere in addressing any of these issues and the issues are just a means to promote their own interests. 

But Americans will have to make some decisions about things most of us would prefer not to think about:  how do we compare a tongue-kiss forced on a woman, a man putting his hand on a woman's crotch without her consent (or even any prior intimacy), and the molestation of a 14-year old child by a District Attorney more than twice her age?

Are those alleged offenses equal?  If not, how properly to rank them?  In a system of proportional penalties, do they deserve the same remedy?

You see, here I agree with you (and I mean that sincerely).   The American public would be forced to compare the Clarence Thomas "pubic hair scandal" with the Al Franken "boob grabbing scandal" and compare that to the POTUS saying 'grabbed them by the p---y" and compare that with Bill Clinton's marital affairs and measure that against photos of Anthony Weiner's Weener. 

I am not afraid to get into it further.  But probably it would seem like an online sex chat between us, and tonight I have a headache, and I'm not sure too many details about that kind of thing would be good here (I mean, what does it add to the Expat experience in Ukraine?).  It will turn into 6 pages of people talking about boobs and weeners.   

Maybe you will enjoy this article: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 22:37 17-Nov-2017 »
The most interesting thing about the Franken behavior, is that Senator Franken was one of the most ardent critics of Trump's Access Hollywood antics.  Trying to quote Franken: "I have been in a lockerroom.   I go to a gym.  You can probably see that (shows off real or imaginary muscles.)  There wasn't any talk like that at my gym."   Now we have evidence that Franken thought Afghanistan is a giant lockerroom.

Online jbenet

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 14:37 19-Nov-2017 »
Al Franken photo staged according to photographer who took the photo.

Photographer: "S]he was playing dead and SHE wanted him to ?revive? her. I took the picture it was a funny moment everyone was smiling having a good time." EXIM data in HER posted image shows that it WAS NOT taken on NYE (or even at night) as she claimed, but in the middle of the day, days before.

Senator Franken is smart as he was the 1st to call for an ethics investigation paving the way for her to commit perjury & expose who's behind this, Leeann Tweeden after all is a trump supporter. And this stage kiss (not in some private context, but in public, as part of a skit reheresal DOES NOT look 'forced';

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 14:43 19-Nov-2017 »

Photographer: "S]he was playing dead and SHE wanted him to ?revive? her. I took the picture it was a funny moment everyone was smiling having a good time." EXIM data in HER posted image shows that it WAS NOT taken on NYE (or even at night) as she claimed, but in the middle of the day, days before.

Senator Franken is smart as he was the 1st to call for an ethics investigation paving the way for her to commit perjury & expose who's behind this, Leeann Tweeden after all is a trump supporter. And this stage kiss (not in some private context, but in public, as part of a skit reheresal DOES NOT look 'forced';

I can respect that perspective as a part of the fact finding process.   All are innocent until unless proven guilty.  We must respect the right to defend, introduce evidence, cross examine witnesses, full disclosure of prosecutorial evidence. 

What you write has some plausibility and is a good point. 

Online jbenet

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 14:44 19-Nov-2017 »
Here she is on that same tour sexually harassing a performer;

Don't trust her motives AT ALL.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: 14:52 19-Nov-2017 »

Don't trust her motives AT ALL.

I like your style JBenet.  Leading with facts and bypassing the nonsense.   
That's right, if anyone makes allegations to destroy another person, they must also have the evidence, their motives, and history scrutinized.  No free passes.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 15:08 19-Nov-2017 »

Let me help you out here brother.

I watched it.   And I'm angry.   

F-ck that bitch.  Typical Ho move.   I wouldn't hesitate to look into prosecuting her if I had anything to say about it.
And that's why the only rule for judging evidence is to look at the evidence and to give the accused a fair process.   If we turn to presumptions that someone is telling the truth just because of their gender, innocent people will get destroyed. 

In my mind:  Franken is NOT GUILTY.   Case closed.  I don't give 2 sh-ts what come out of this bitch's mouth next. 

A lot of these clowns will pretend they are the preacher's daughter on Monday and Bump and Grind on a stranger on Tuesday.   Disgusting. 
« Last Edit: 15:31 19-Nov-2017 by Reggie »

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: 15:34 19-Nov-2017 »

Snopes debunks the claim that the Al Franken photo was staged.  The quote of the photographer is apparently bogus: