Author Topic: Help regarding false business registration  (Read 840 times)

Offline steveo

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 230
  • -Receive: 349
  • Growing older is no excuse for growing up.
Help regarding false business registration
« on: 11:51 23-Jan-2017 »
When I first started a business here we used to get a whole lot of mail for businesses who had used my office address as their legal business address, from manufacturing businesses to service providing businesses, I even had tax inspectors coming to ask us about businesses I had never heard of.

Mostly this has now stopped but we had a situation last week where a contract was sent to our address from a large international company to a company with a name almost identical to my own company name, within the same industry, who is using my office as their legal address.

Is there any way I can stop them using my office as their legal address?

Does anyone know the steps I can take to report them?

Is there the possibility that there may be some legal liability from their behaviour, i.e could I be liable for their income tax etc...?

Keep calm and let karma do its thing.

Online BobLviv

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 127
  • -Receive: 68
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
Re: Help regarding false business registration
« Reply #1 on: 15:44 23-Jan-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When I first started a business here we used to get a whole lot of mail for businesses who had used my office address as their legal business address, from manufacturing businesses to service providing businesses, I even had tax inspectors coming to ask us about businesses I had never heard of.

Mostly this has now stopped but we had a situation last week where a contract was sent to our address from a large international company to a company with a name almost identical to my own company name, within the same industry, who is using my office as their legal address.

Does anyone know the steps I can take to report them?

Is there the possibility that there may be some legal liability from their behaviour, i.e could I be liable for their income tax etc...?

Sad to hear :(
Sounds to me as a typical case for a good lawyer to be contacted and asked for a proper advise, as such ...
Anyway, good luck :)

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1126
  • -Receive: 876
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #2 on: 19:55 23-Jan-2017 »

Can you stop them?  Probably not UNLESS you're willing to - - -

1. spend the time and money to hire a lawyer
2. file a police report
3. find a prosecutor that will take the case up
4. have solid evidence showing WHO did it, WHY they did it, and WHEN they did it.

What I recommend is hiring a lawyer to prepare a notarized letter to the usual authorities describing the problem just to cover your own @ss.   Then whenever you encounter someone knocking on your door, just give them a copy of the letter and tell them that you reported the problem before and to not bother you with it.   

Try to find out WHO is doing this.  Why did they choose your address?

Offline steveo

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 21:00 23-Jan-2017 »

Can you stop them?  Probably not UNLESS you're willing to - - -

1. spend the time and money to hire a lawyer
2. file a police report
3. find a prosecutor that will take the case up
4. have solid evidence showing WHO did it, WHY they did it, and WHEN they did it.

What I recommend is hiring a lawyer to prepare a notarized letter to the usual authorities describing the problem just to cover your own @ss.   Then whenever you encounter someone knocking on your door, just give them a copy of the letter and tell them that you reported the problem before and to not bother you with it.   

Try to find out WHO is doing this.  Why did they choose your address?

Thanks Reggie, I know the company behind it, they're on the internet and have several offices around Kyiv, not sure what the motivation is behind them using a false address, the worrying thing for me is that they have chosen a similar company name to my own, and that we're in the same industry. I'll have a chat to my lawyer about it, and see if he has any clue.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 22:27 23-Jan-2017 »
You're welcome Steve.

When I first came to Ukraine I came via the company route.   At that time I learned that one of the lawyers we hired was using the same address and director to establish many companies here.   Could it be something like a lawyer reusing your documents?   Maybe you can shed some light on the matter.   

Every company needs a registered address; maybe they have debts and don't want their property seized?  There has to be some angle that is causing them to redirect authorities to your place of business.  And my suspicion is that someone probably said, 'there is a foreigner at this address, make a similar company name and they may accidentally pay your taxes for you.'  If it's that type of scenario I would suspect the Ukrainian lawyer that helped set up your company or a former employee (an insider).

If you know who is doing it, have a lawyer contact them or take them to court. The more they think it's a problem to use your address, the less inclined they will be to use your address and will opt for some other address.
« Last Edit: 22:34 23-Jan-2017 by Reggie »

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 811
  • -Receive: 1132
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #5 on: 07:45 24-Jan-2017 »
For some reason this brings to mind the occasional mafia style takovers of businesses in Ukraine, by masked paramilitaries.

Offline Lawyer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #6 on: 15:47 04-Mar-2017 »
You're welcome Steve.

When I first came to Ukraine I came via the company route.   At that time I learned that one of the lawyers we hired was using the same address and director to establish many companies here.   Could it be something like a lawyer reusing your documents?   Maybe you can shed some light on the matter.   

Do you have contract with lawyer which registered your company and is there writen that he had to help you with lease of non-residential premises? If "yes" can you copy it..I mean how it is written exactly there?

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 18:51 04-Mar-2017 »
You're welcome Steve.

Do you have contract with lawyer which registered your company and is there writen that he had to help you with lease of non-residential premises? If "yes" can you copy it..I mean how it is written exactly there?

The example I gave was years ago, which I sorted out so it didn't impact me.  I am not sure what you mean in your message, to be honest. 

SteveO is the one currently having problems; I am Reggie.  Maybe you are confused and meant to ask SteveO?

Offline steveo

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 23:39 04-Mar-2017 »

My lawyer is about as honest as any lawyer I've met, was reasonably priced, we're still in touch, and we pass each other work when we can. Don't think it has anything to do with my lawyer, but rather, an opportunistic competitor, looking to avoid paying tax. Not incredibly worried about it, like all things in Ukraine, there are always a few ways to deal with these problems.
« Last Edit: 23:41 04-Mar-2017 by steveo »

Online VGera

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 58
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #9 on: 13:33 27-Mar-2017 »
Does You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login look similar to yours? Then you have to get ready for possible results. I strongly doubt that tax fraud takes place as long as taxes are personified by numbers (ЄДРПОУ, ІПН) rather than by names. Most probably they exploit your reputation (if there is any to exploit) taking over part of your potential orders. You can check any company legal status (including official registered address) for free You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or you can get an official transcript for less than UAH100. I am sure you know it already, but just in case...
« Last Edit: 13:36 27-Mar-2017 by VGera »