Author Topic: What are foreign spouse property rights in Ukraine if Ukrainian spouse dies?  (Read 1033 times)

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2531
  • -Receive: 3955
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you are here on PR.....when she dies you have to leave Ukraine, PR will be cancelled. As far as we know this is true.

For the sake of the record: PR stands for Permanent Resident Permit (PRP). Correct?

How does that stand against earlier messages I think I read here, where it was said that the approved/allocated PRP is a life time permit?
Is it, then, "life time" but conditional ??

Also, can migrants to Ukraine obtain dual citizenship after living in the country for a certain number of years?

No. It is illegal in Ukraine to have dual citizenhship.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online BobLviv

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 127
  • -Receive: 68
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
Two points to add here:
1. About possible cancellation of PRP in case of decease of the partner, my lawyer answered the following:
...to obtain a permanent residence permit foreigner must obtain an immigration permit. Permanent residence permit is canceled in the case of cancellation of the immigration permit. The grounds for cancellation an immigration permit are provided by the Articles 12 and 13 of The Law of Ukraine on Immigration. Among the grounds for cancellation of the immigration permit the death of one of a spouse or divorce are not mentioned.There were cases of cancellation a permanent resident permit under mentioned grounds (death or divorce), but courts abolished such illegal decisions of an authorized body.
Don't know those articles, but the rest seems to be "clear".

2. As I understood from the same lawyer, applying for PR obliges you to present prove of your living address of origin. However, as it appears, that could be your actual address abroad, but you don't need to provide proof that you left that address in return for you UA one.

Anybody to react on this ?

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1124
  • -Receive: 868
  • 100% Against jellied eels
Firstly, Thanks to Bob for the pertinent information.

I'm sure it will be nerve-wracking for some Expats:

For starters, it shows the PRP has been cancelled on the death of a spouse or divorce in the past: "There were cases of cancellation a permanent resident permit under mentioned grounds (death or divorce), but courts abolished such illegal decisions of an authorized body."  But the lawyer seems to indicate that this is not done now ( court decision, statute or executive order would be useful to have and read ).  It's Ukraine, hopefully all offices got the same memo.  Hopefully, the opinion is based on some discernible law; rumor doesn't hold water in court.

The second thing is the bit about your "your living address of origin," which means nothing in the English language but is similar to other translated gobbledygook I've seen in Ukraine. ("--- applying for PR obliges you to present prove of your living address of origin ---"  What?!!! Huh?).   Maybe it means the address of your permanent residence in your native country?  And what kind of proof?  Passport? DL?  Lease agreement?  Deed?

Still, thanks Bob.  Good someone checked.