Author Topic: French rhinoceros: Further proof people have lost their minds  (Read 157 times)

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 646
  • -Receive: 528
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!

PARIS (Reuters) - Poachers broke into a French zoo, shot dead a rare white rhinoceros and sawed off its horn in what is believed to be the first time in Europe that a rhino in captivity has been attacked and killed.

The four-year-old male white rhino called Vince was found dead in his enclosure by his keeper at the Thoiry zoo and wildlife park about 50 km (30 miles) west of Paris on Tuesday morning after an overnight break-in, the zoo said.

Police, who were investigating the crime, said the rhino had been shot three times in the head and one of its horns had been sawn off, probably with a chainsaw.

Global trade in rhino horn is banned by a U.N. convention and its sale is illegal in France.  But demand for the horn is strong in newly-affluent Asian countries such as Vietnam, where it is prized as an ingredient in traditional medicines

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kyivkpic

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1243
  • -Receive: 1178
I gave up on homo sapiens some time ago. It's quite apparent that we have not evolved at the rate of our technology and we're all still basically irrational monkeys with just enough knowledge to Frak everything up.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 767
  • -Receive: 1048
  • Statue of the Motherland
The street value is $65,000 per kilogram.