Author Topic: General STD testing in Kyiv?  (Read 236 times)

Offline glassatmosphere

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
General STD testing in Kyiv?
« on: 21:02 16-Sep-2017 »
Can you recommend any place that is reasonably priced where an English speaker can get this done? I'm pretty sure I'm clean and just try to get tested now and then for peace of mind, but I've been putting it off due to travelling so I'd like to go ahead and get it out of the way.

I know there are a few medical centers here that cater to foreigners, but American Medical told me the base price is $180USD, which is a pretty big chunk of change to be dropping when I think I know the result anyway. For that price I'd be tempted to just get the free HIV testing (assuming that's available for foreigners?) and call it a day.

Does anyone know which "normal Ukrainian" hospitals would be better for this? I know they might be difficult to navigate without speaking Russian/Ukrainian, but it doesn't usually seem too hard to find English speakers here.

Thanks for any advice!
« Last Edit: 21:05 16-Sep-2017 by glassatmosphere »

Online julienp

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 214
Re: General STD testing in Kyiv?
« Reply #1 on: 22:55 16-Sep-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can you recommend any place that is reasonably priced where an English speaker can get this done? I'm pretty sure I'm clean and just try to get tested now and then for peace of mind, but I've been putting it off due to travelling so I'd like to go ahead and get it out of the way.

I know there are a few medical centers here that cater to foreigners, but American Medical told me the base price is $180USD, which is a pretty big chunk of change to be dropping when I think I know the result anyway. For that price I'd be tempted to just get the free HIV testing (assuming that's available for foreigners?) and call it a day.
Just go to give your blood. You get paid some kopek & they screen you for STD, win-win :)

I randomly did it while in vacation in Italy and for 10 min of my time I received couple weeks later a full set of results by email

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2541
  • -Receive: 3963
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #2 on: 23:33 16-Sep-2017 »
The law says you can't give blood if you were not born in Ukraine. My wife and I read it from the Director's Book down at our local blood bank :-(
But do check and see anyway!
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 811
  • -Receive: 1132
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #3 on: 00:44 17-Sep-2017 »
The law says you can't give blood if you were not born in Ukraine. My wife and I read it from the Director's Book down at our local blood bank :-(

Can't he just tell them he was born in Ukraine and adopted by an American family?

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2897
  • -Receive: 1230
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #4 on: 05:26 17-Sep-2017 »

Can't he just tell them he was born in Ukraine and adopted by an American family?

Wouldn't he have to produce something with that little blue stamp to prove it?
One out of three Hillary voters are just as crazy as the other two.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 811
  • -Receive: 1132
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #5 on: 06:53 17-Sep-2017 »

The idea would be to claim being born in Ukraine, but explain that he has no Ukrainian Passport, only a Western Passport, and that he was born in the village, and as happens to most villagers, the building where his birth certificate was stored, burned down, because it contained records of V.I.Ps with Mafia pasts.  I actually know someone with no birth certificate, because the records repository burned, so at least the burning part happens.  And his Mom probably has his expired Ukrainian, daiti Passport and doesn't live in Ukraine,  and he doesn't know how to spell or write his name in Ukrainian, or even know his former name which was changed when he was adopted. 

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2541
  • -Receive: 3963
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #6 on: 09:18 17-Sep-2017 »

The idea would be to claim being born in Ukraine, but explain that he has no Ukrainian Passport, only a Western Passport, and that he was born in the village, and as happens to most villagers, the building where his birth certificate was stored, burned down, because it contained records of V.I.Ps with Mafia pasts.  I actually know someone with no birth certificate, because the records repository burned, so at least the burning part happens.  And his Mom probably has his expired Ukrainian, daiti Passport and doesn't live in Ukraine,  and he doesn't know how to spell or write his name in Ukrainian, or even know his former name which was changed when he was adopted.

That's a lot of Frakikng crap to go through ... just go to the Fraking hospital and do it there. Jesus.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1802
  • -Receive: 1366
« Reply #7 on: 10:12 17-Sep-2017 »
Are you a resident with permits? TPR / PR, D ect? Or just passing thru?
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline KFEU2008

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #8 on: 12:39 17-Sep-2017 »
I am a visitor and not trying to get anything for free. I went to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  used there Dnepro clinic found it reasonable, fast and reliable. I got a whole slew of tests that would have cost me maybe $4000 in the US for around $180. 
2% is health

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1688
  • -Receive: 3878
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #9 on: 13:12 17-Sep-2017 »
I am a visitor and not trying to get anything for free. I went to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  used there Dnepro clinic found it reasonable, fast and reliable. I got a whole slew of tests that would have cost me maybe $4000 in the US for around $180.

Thanks but didn't you notice what the OP mentioned above? He wants to avoid that $180 payment .....

I know there are a few medical centers here that cater to foreigners, but American Medical told me the base price is $180USD, which is a pretty big chunk of change to be dropping when I think I know the result anyway.

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2897
  • -Receive: 1230
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #10 on: 14:36 17-Sep-2017 »

Thanks but didn't you notice what the OP mentioned above? He wants to avoid that $180 payment .....

I know there are a few medical centers here that cater to foreigners, but American Medical told me the base price is $180USD, which is a pretty big chunk of change to be dropping when I think I know the result anyway.

Yep, the FNG is a cheap fokker.
One out of three Hillary voters are just as crazy as the other two.

Offline glassatmosphere

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #11 on: 14:59 17-Sep-2017 »
Thanks for the responses, I'm glad to see this community is a lot friendlier than some other expat forums.

Are you a resident with permits? TPR / PR, D ect? Or just passing thru?
Just enjoying my 90 visa free days (but looking at my options for staying longer).

This looks like a useful site, if I'm understanding it correctly. Individual tests seem to be around 300UAH, so hopefully I could get everything done for under $100. I also found out that only state run labs can do HIV testing, so I guess I can't get everything done in one go.

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Expatua
« Reply #12 on: 17:41 17-Sep-2017 »

Thanks for the responses, I'm glad to see this community is a lot friendlier than some other expat forums.

We're ultra-friendly here! Even old ladies and kids can feel welcome here and learn where to source the best salo!

OK, have you thought to try a home testing kit? The cheapest method:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  which would seem to have arrived in Ukraine from China!!

You would need to satisfy yourself of the genuineness of the product. In western Europe, home testing kit enables you to collect a saliva sample or small spot of blood yourself and test it at home. The result is available within minutes. It's important to check that any test you buy has a CE quality assurance mark as HIV self-tests available from overseas can be of poor quality.

A little more research might lead you to something more reliable such as Uncle Vlad's Russian produced:

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Expatua
« Reply #13 on: 17:49 17-Sep-2017 »
The HIV test, AIDS is designed for rapid one-stage qualitative detection of antibodies to human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and / or type 2 (HIV 1/2) in human blood by ICHA analysis.

The test is very simple to use and does not require any special skills. It is used both at home and in the laboratory.
Where can I buy an HIV test?

In order to buy an HIV test and conduct an anonymous analysis at home, you do not need to run to the pharmacy and look for a test,   you need to fill out a simple order form.

Delivery of the test is carried out throughout Ukraine. You can read reviews at the bottom of the product description page.