Author Topic: Getting visa after overstay  (Read 140 times)

Offline krupnyrogatyskot

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Getting visa after overstay
« on: 19:53 11-Oct-2017 »
Hi all,

US citizen here. Apologize if this is a common question, but the rules appear to have changed recently. To cut a long story short, I've overstayed by a bit over a month (on two separate passports). It's my first ever overstay. There is a company in Ukraine that wants to hire me. They consulted a lawyer, who said I should go to the Migration Service, admit I overstayed, and pay the fine to avoid a hassle at the airport. Then I should exit the country to apply for a Category D visa in order to return and then subsequently get a work/residency permit.

Here's my concern: Provided I have all the necessary documents to apply for Category D, what are the chances I will be denied a visa because of my overstay (i.e. because I've been banned from entering for 3 months)? I've heard stories of an overstay not preventing a person from receiving a visa, but most of these cases were family reunification visas (i.e. the foreign visa applicant had a Ukrainian spouse). Thoughts?

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2894
  • -Receive: 1228
  • Gainfully unemployed
Re: Getting visa after overstay
« Reply #1 on: 20:38 11-Oct-2017 »
Provided they don't ban you, you're good to go. 

Stay out for 90 days, all is forgiven.
Get a visa, all is forgiven.

Which ever consulate you go to won't even ask (if they even notice).  Just have all the required docs when you go.

I overstayed for 45 days once.  Went directly to the immigration office at the airport (KBP) and told them I needed to pay.  They were terrific, even hustled it through so I could catch my flight.  Wish I'd gotten there earlier, they were also nice to look at.

The overstay was a non issue when it was time for the visa.
One out of three Hillary voters are just as crazy as the other two.

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1800
  • -Receive: 1365
« Reply #2 on: 20:45 11-Oct-2017 »
If this company that wants to hire you is for an English teaching position... BEWARE.  They seem to promise alot but deliver little including wages.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online K24

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 46
« Reply #3 on: 04:49 12-Oct-2017 »
It is not so easy.  Some embassies / consulates check before issuing the visa D.  So you do have a risk.  There is just unfortunately nothing you can really do about it.