Author Topic: Film Reviews  (Read 11483 times)

Offline Vera

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 825
  • -Receive: 595
Re: Film Reviews
« Reply #45 on: 08:38 21-Feb-2010 »
I watched a very interesting movie yesterday. It was an Iranian film called "Boutique".
I think fans of international/foreign films will enjoy it. Here is a short description:

Hamid Nematollah's compelling drama "stakes out a new path for Iranian cinema" (Variety) as it exposes key problems plaguing modern-day Tehran. Johan is a gentle and thoughtful young man who works as a window dresser at a fashionable boutique. When a poor and very beautiful young girl enters his store Johan feels compelled to steal a pair of blue jeans for her. This action triggers a downward spiral that will change Johan's life forever. "Painfully real and engaging" (Kevin Thomas Los Angeles Times). In Farsi with English subtitles.

« Last Edit: 14:37 21-Feb-2010 by Vera »
"You never really know a guy until you've stared at him for 8 hours through high powered binoculars." -Spongebob Squarepants

Offline GC

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #46 on: 17:28 01-Mar-2010 »
Slum dog Millionaire!!!

If it wasn't for an British Director not sure if anyone would have noticed the movie. Didn't find anything special in the movie except the the kid hitting the jackpot. Coincidence rarely makes people Millionaires.  ;D

Offline Vera

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #47 on: 13:31 04-Mar-2010 »
I agree with you GC, for example there is this very good movie that covers similar topics that Slumdog does but I think in a more truthful and genuine way, yet no one knows about this film because the film was made in India and did not get such publicity.

I am talking about the film "Thanks ma".

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Slum dog Millionaire!!!

If it wasn't for an British Director not sure if anyone would have noticed the movie. Didn't find anything special in the movie except the the kid hitting the jackpot. Coincidence rarely makes people Millionaires.  ;D
« Last Edit: 13:32 04-Mar-2010 by Vera »
"You never really know a guy until you've stared at him for 8 hours through high powered binoculars." -Spongebob Squarepants

Offline Vera

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #48 on: 23:31 21-Feb-2011 »
There hasn't been a movie review here for a while  :( , so I thought I would post a trailer of the movie I really liked.

"127 HOURS"

Offline ace123

• All this work and I get called:
  • Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 712
  • -Receive: 1959
    • Kiev Life
« Reply #49 on: 12:53 22-Feb-2011 »
I'd cut my right arm off to watch it in English... any suggestions?
I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Offline Vera

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: 19:27 22-Feb-2011 »
I'd cut my right arm off

If you are saying this, it tells me you have seen the movie already (clever play on words , though).

Offline Vera

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: 03:08 15-May-2011 »
The Bucket List is a 2008 comedy-drama film directed by Rob Reiner, written by Justin Zackham, and starring Academy Award-winners Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. The main plot follows two terminally ill men (portrayed by Nicholson and Freeman) on their road trip with a wish list of things to do before they "kick the bucket."

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1759
  • -Receive: 3918
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #52 on: 15:26 15-May-2011 »
The Bucket List is a 2008 comedy-drama film directed by Rob Reiner, written by Justin Zackham, and starring Academy Award-winners Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. The main plot follows two terminally ill men (portrayed by Nicholson and Freeman) on their road trip with a wish list of things to do before they "kick the bucket."

Weird, Vera. This was on TV only a couple of days ago. Brilliant film! We thoroughly enjoyed it and both Nicholson and Freeman acted their roles to perfection.

Recommended!
"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2583
  • -Receive: 4033
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #53 on: 17:00 12-Sep-2017 »
Yep rezzin a almost dead thread!

MOVIE REVIEW:

It has been universally panned as the worst film ever....yeah you guessed it The Room.(You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)) It is really bad, so bad that you will watch it once just to see the jaw dropping worst acting you have ever seen all your lives; past, present but not the future, because there is a film even worse than The Room.

I am here to tell you, go ahead a watch The Room, and then save two hours of your life and DO NOT watch Transformers: The Last Knight ... folks you have been warned.

The plot might have been almost okay, if it made sense. The CGI was actually good, but now days CGI is good and accepted by movie patrons as a character. The plot didn't flow because the editing was so crappy that my old unused outhouse in the garden has less crap in it. There were holes in it bigger than a black hole.

The acting...even Sir Anthony Hopkins and Mark Wahlberg could not save, well, save anything. (yean they were main characters in the movie, I poop you not) I think the best thing about Wahlberg is he did have an opportunity to work with Hopkins at least. So, there's that for his resume.

Characters? 50% of them should have been left on the cutting room floor, the little girl...Isabela Moner, may have destroyed any chances of ever being cast in a movie again and will suffer long term mental health problems. There is a CP3O rip off that is downright annoying. sigh

So, when this movie comes to you in English, because dubbing sucks no matter how you cut it, save your money, buy a couple beers and sit outside and enjoy the fresh air. I watched it for free on a black site in HD, HD did not help.

Why this review? Well I can't be an asshole all the time!

« Last Edit: 18:33 12-Sep-2017 by Fraucha »
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1190
  • -Receive: 951
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #54 on: 20:53 12-Sep-2017 »
Nice to know this thread exists.  Will be checking for good movies to watch.