Author Topic: USA missed the boat  (Read 212 times)

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2663
  • -Receive: 4144
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
USA missed the boat
« on: 07:16 11-Nov-2017 »
Sorta politics but more business, less about Trump more about China etc.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 821
  • -Receive: 1173
  • Statue of the Motherland
Re: USA missed the boat
« Reply #1 on: 08:07 11-Nov-2017 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but Putin and Xi made a deal for gas and a pipeline, but did not agree on details like price, or financing of the pipeline.  That might be evidence of bias in the article.  My recollection is that China 2014 was humbling for Putin.

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #2 on: 09:37 11-Nov-2017 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but Putin and Xi made a deal for gas and a pipeline, but did not agree on details like price, or financing of the pipeline.  That might be evidence of bias in the article.  My recollection is that China 2014 was humbling for Putin.

Yeah they agreed on the price, and it appears Russia got the raw end of the deal. Time to dig it out and look again it seems!

« Last Edit: 09:40 11-Nov-2017 by Fraucha »
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online sosednik

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 199
  • Героям слава! Смерть ворогам!
« Reply #3 on: 03:14 13-Nov-2017 »
Fraucha has it right.  I remember well the coverage at the time of the Russia-China agreement.

The two countries had been talking about this for quite a few years.  No agreement had been reached, because China insisted on rock-bottom gas prices which Russia didn't want to accept.

Then came Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and international sanctions.  Putin wanted to make a "demonstration" to show, "Ha, we don't need you bastards in the countries of the West!  We have new, slick friends in China!"

The contract requires an enormous Russian investment to construct new pipelines along vast tracts of wilderness.  And Russia's petro-production costs are relatively high anyway.  According to what I read at the time, there was some doubt as to whether the rates China will pay will ever cover Russia's costs!

A typical political move:  he hung another weight around the neck of his already drowning country, wrecking future prospects in exchange for a temporary boost in his prestige.

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #4 on: 08:25 13-Nov-2017 »
Yes this all back when oil was at $100+ a barrel. I read later that China insisted Russia finance and pay for Russia's end of the pipes. I think tn the end Russia will get less than half of what they thought there were going to get amortized over 30 years plus construction costs and corruption means China made a sweet deal for themselves. Uncle Xi stuck it to Pooty Poot.