Author Topic: Possible new law, Poroshenko to ban dual citizenship:  (Read 1157 times)

Online Vitaliy50

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 42
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Don't know if this is a Russian site, but the only English language article I could find.

"such a base will now be considered the situation when a person who has voluntarily acquired the citizenship of another country"

If the law passes, I think the only way dual citizenship with Ukraine will be allowed if you left Ukraine prior to the age of 18, and acquired citizenship of another country. That way you are not "voluntarily" acquiring it as you are a minor.

Am I reading it right?
« Last Edit: 11:06 14-Mar-2017 by Vitaliy50 »

Online Tiancai

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 51
Re: Possible new law, Poroshenko to ban dual citizenship:
« Reply #1 on: 12:04 14-Mar-2017 »
Yeah, only if you got your other citizenship by birth (for example if you were born in a country that gives citizenship by birth, or born in Ukraine and one of the parents had a foreign citizenship that passed on to you) or emigrated before 18. Or if you got married to someone and their citizenship passed on to you automatically (I think this only applies to certain Arab countries). Also situations like what happened in Crimea, where people were forcibly issued foreign citizenship. Also, if you use your foreign passport to enter or leave Ukraine, you will lose your Ukrainian citizenship even if you got your foreign citizenship through the exceptional cases mentioned above.

You can read the original text on the official website of the Rada You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1727
  • -Receive: 1292
« Reply #2 on: 12:14 14-Mar-2017 »
President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko has submitted to the Verkhovna Rada an urgent bill on amending the Law on Citizenship of Ukraine on the implementation of the right to change citizenship (No. 6175).

According to information posted on the website of the Ukrainian parliament, the bill was registered on Monday, March 13.

"The bill deals with the issue of dual citizenship. This law will establish that a person who voluntarily received the citizenship of a foreign country, will be considered as such that falls under the requirement to terminate Ukrainian citizenship," presidential spokesman in the Verkhovna Rada Artur Herasymov said at a briefing on Monday.

He added that these changes in the law of Ukraine will clarify the grounds for the loss of Ukrainian citizenship. According to him, such a basis will be considered a voluntary receipt by a citizen of Ukraine of the citizenship of another country, as well as if a person does not renounce foreign citizenship within a certain period from the moment of receiving the Ukrainian citizenship.

"This issue concerns only situations of voluntary citizenship of another country, this does not concern the situation with our people in Crimea, because there were no talks of voluntariness," Herasymov said.

In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online Vitaliy50

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 13:06 14-Mar-2017 »
Yeah, only if you got your other citizenship by birth (for example if you were born in a country that gives citizenship by birth, or born in Ukraine and one of the parents had a foreign citizenship that passed on to you) or emigrated before 18. Or if you got married to someone and their citizenship passed on to you automatically (I think this only applies to certain Arab countries). Also situations like what happened in Crimea, where people were forcibly issued foreign citizenship. Also, if you use your foreign passport to enter or leave Ukraine, you will lose your Ukrainian citizenship even if you got your foreign citizenship through the exceptional cases mentioned above.

You can read the original text on the official website of the Rada You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you use a foreign passport to enter Ukraine, how would Ukraine have a right to rid you of your Ukrainian citizenship? that is, if your situation applies to the exceptions you listed. Why couldn't these people exercise their right to dual citizenship?
« Last Edit: 13:09 14-Mar-2017 by Vitaliy50 »

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 799
  • -Receive: 1099
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #4 on: 13:41 14-Mar-2017 »
It's clearly unconstitutional to take Ukrainian citizenship away, but the intent is to prevent Ukrainian citizens from shielding themselves from Ukrainian justice and Ukraine's legal system with a foreign passport as has been the traditional way to escape criminal charges as long as anyone can remember.  Turning in a passport is not the same as legally renouncing foreign citizenship in the foreign country.  One might always get another passport. 

Online frank1010

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 155
  • -Receive: 207
« Reply #5 on: 13:54 14-Mar-2017 »
All valid points but there is a catch. For example if a Ukrainian has a chance to get a foreign passport (which comes with the citizenship like in Germany for example) he/she would gladly do so because having a European passport is by far better than the Ukrainian ... but when he/she want to come to Ukraine for example to visit parents or relatives the 90/180 rule would apply ... thus you get penalized for wanting another citizenship ...

Offline shuggah21

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 53
« Reply #6 on: 14:11 14-Mar-2017 »
Maybe this proposal has something to do with Nasirov's case.

Also, since you would be a dual citizen, it seems that you could always get a Ukrainian passport and use it to enter and leave Ukraine. You would use your other passport as needed for travel to other countries. Then you would not violate the proposed law, or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: 14:19 14-Mar-2017 by shuggah21 »

Online Vitaliy50

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 15:22 14-Mar-2017 »
Maybe this proposal has something to do with Nasirov's case.

Also, since you would be a dual citizen, it seems that you could always get a Ukrainian passport and use it to enter and leave Ukraine. You would use your other passport as needed for travel to other countries. Then you would not violate the proposed law, or am I missing something?

This has everything to do with Nasirov's case. The Verkhovna Rada had a proposal to criminalize dual citizenships as early as 2014: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 799
  • -Receive: 1099
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #8 on: 15:28 14-Mar-2017 »
All valid points but there is a catch. For example if a Ukrainian has a chance to get a foreign passport (which comes with the citizenship like in Germany for example) he/she would gladly do so because having a European passport is by far better than the Ukrainian ... but when he/she want to come to Ukraine for example to visit parents or relatives the 90/180 rule would apply ... thus you get penalized for wanting another citizenship ...

I recall there was some thread not too long ago, discussing how to use passports, when you have a Ukrainian plus foreign passport.  I believe it evolved that you use the Foreign passport, leaving and entering that country, but use the Ukrainian passport Entering and leaving Ukraine.   Can anyone confirm that?

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 933
  • -Receive: 749
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #9 on: 16:16 14-Mar-2017 »

Appears to be an ineffective (or cosmetic) proposal to battle corruption or combat separatists with dual nationalities.

Relevance to expats:  Probably none.

Online Tiancai

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 51
« Reply #10 on: 16:21 14-Mar-2017 »
If you use a foreign passport to enter Ukraine, how would Ukraine have a right to rid you of your Ukrainian citizenship? that is, if your situation applies to the exceptions you listed. Why couldn't these people exercise their right to dual citizenship?

Dual citizenship isn't a right, at least according to Ukrainian law, there are some exceptions that allow people to have other citizenships, but in either case, they are viewed solely as Ukrainians by Ukrainian authorities. According to the new law, if you use a foreign passport in Ukraine, it is deemed that you conscientiously made the choice to identify as your other nationality instead of as a Ukrainian (which apparently revokes your privilege of being allowed two citizenships on the basis that the other citizenship wasn't obtained through conscientious effort).

Offline julienp

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 193
« Reply #11 on: 17:31 14-Mar-2017 »
Appears to be an ineffective (or cosmetic) proposal to battle corruption or combat separatists with dual nationalities.
Relevance to expats:  Probably none.

It can affect kids with dual nationality, so I would not dismiss it so quickly as irrelevant.

Offline Ron-n-Sveta

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • we be live here
« Reply #12 on: 18:55 14-Mar-2017 »
I for one would like to know the answer to this (  there are some exceptions that allow people to have other citizenships ) does anyone know?

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1633
  • -Receive: 3790
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #13 on: 19:35 14-Mar-2017 »
I for one would like to know the answer to this (  there are some exceptions that allow people to have other citizenships ) does anyone know?

Rada membership? Anyone requiring a quick escape route?  :)

Sorry, I'll get my coat.  :(

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 933
  • -Receive: 749
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #14 on: 21:18 14-Mar-2017 »

"Under the proposed amendments, Ukrainians would lose their citizenship if they "voluntarily" obtain citizenship in another country.

They also specify that anyone who obtained Ukrainian citizenship but did not return the passports of the countries of their previous citizenship would also lose Ukrainian citizenship.

The discussion of dual citizenship has come to the fore in Ukraine following unconfirmed media reports saying that suspended tax and customs service chief Roman Nasirov, who has been arrested on suspicion of corruption, holds foreign passports".  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My comment:  So his "foreign passports" stole $75 million?  Or he, Nasirov, stole the loot?   

A foreign passport is not immunity from prosecution in any country.  So what are they fixated on?   

For argument's sake, let's say they need a law on passports to combat corruption: the law can be narrowly tailored to apply only to government officials  ("Government officials cannot hold a foreign passport").  So why apply it to everyone?   

This is a government hell-bent on destroying the country through flagrant stupidity or willful mismanagement.

Still it's hard to say that it's the dumbest legislative proposal: 'Prime Minister Vladimir Groisman at the weekly cabinet meeting on Wednesday, 13 July 2016, stated he supports a legal prohibition on divorce.'  <a href="You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login">Источник</a>