Author Topic: marriage contract  (Read 236 times)

Offline chrisinkiev

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
marriage contract
« on: 09:54 09-Jan-2018 »
I need some information about marriage contract in Ukraine.
How does it work?
I bought some property in Ukraine for investment (new apartments) they'll finish at the time we will be married but I don't have the property's title in hand.
In Holland we have something called "marital conditions" in short meaning that all belongings before marriage will be returned to the original owner. The conditions can also agree that belongings purchased during marriage will also be returned to the purchaser. I would like to know if this is possible in Ukraine as well... I don't expect to get a divorce but everything is possible.

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1952
  • -Receive: 1483
Re: marriage contract
« Reply #1 on: 10:14 09-Jan-2018 »
You really need to consult a good lawyer on this. 
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online frank1010

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 183
  • -Receive: 268
« Reply #2 on: 10:57 09-Jan-2018 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I need some information about marriage contract in Ukraine.
How does it work?
I bought some property in Ukraine for investment (new apartments) they'll finish at the time we will be married but I don't have the property's title in hand.
In Holland we have something called "marital conditions" in short meaning that all belongings before marriage will be returned to the original owner. The conditions can also agree that belongings purchased during marriage will also be returned to the purchaser. I would like to know if this is possible in Ukraine as well... I don't expect to get a divorce but everything is possible.

The law in Ukraine is often very tricky and unclear and there is a difference between being right and getting your right. Judges here can be corrupt and corrupted. hence I agree with Mike, you need a good lawyer and even that is no guarantee....

Offline chrisinkiev

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 11:23 09-Jan-2018 »
Thanks for the replies.

Any recommendations on lawyers with this kind of experience?

Would it help if I put property on a local Ukrainian business?

Online frank1010

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 183
  • -Receive: 268
« Reply #4 on: 11:47 09-Jan-2018 »
Oligarchs hide their property in a shell company which is hidden in a shell company which is hidden in another shell company, which is hidden in another....

With regards to a good lawyer somebody else will have to answer.

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1842
  • -Receive: 3983
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #5 on: 12:13 09-Jan-2018 »
Thanks for the replies.

Any recommendations on lawyers with this kind of experience?

Would it help if I put property on a local Ukrainian business?

Others may be able to recommend a decent lawyer but in which city/town would your property be?

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online K24

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 60
« Reply #6 on: 12:17 09-Jan-2018 »
You can do all this by Ukrainian law.  But as others have already said above, the question is if the Ukrainian courts also observe this.  So safer to keep assets out of Ukraine. 

Moreover, you will presumably not live in Ukraine for the rest of your life or at least there is a chance of this.  Then the legal doctrines of the country you will then be living in will also be relevant.  And presumably your wife can sue you in Dutch courts anyway because you are Dutch and have lived there for some time, so Dutch law will probably also be relevant in any way.

So this is really a multi-jurisdiction question.

And while maybe not romantically satisfying, the safest is not to legally marry.

Offline chrisinkiev

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 13:26 09-Jan-2018 »
I'm actually doing the Ukrainian passport tour, I plan on staying here for at least 5 years till I can apply for UA passport/citizenship so I will have dual. I know it's not allowed to have dual in Ukraine but I heard it's not a problem if you promise to give up your old one  :D

I'm in Kyiv as my nickname suggests ;)
« Last Edit: 13:31 09-Jan-2018 by chrisinkiev »

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1842
  • -Receive: 3983
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #8 on: 17:16 09-Jan-2018 »

I'm in Kyiv as my nickname suggests ;)

Duh! I cite old age as an excuse!  :( ::)
"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1391
  • -Receive: 1158
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #9 on: 17:17 09-Jan-2018 »
Marriage contract?   Yeah, have one.

Otherwise, you are screwed and solely relying on being lucky on finding the a woman that's in the 1-4% of normal and kind-hearted Ukrainian ladies. 

My opinion.    There are some Expats here that are married to kind and normal ladies that require no contract, but seriously ... it is the major exception to the rule.   

Don't be a fool; lawyer up and save yourself headaches, heartaches, upset stomach, loss of sleep, and fits of nervousness down the road.

General rule:  what you bought before marriage is yours alone.  But still there are ways of gaming that; "improvements" she makes, lies she alleges you told her; children coming into the picture, furniture and appliances she claims are hers, a car ... and so on.   

You will have a good premarital contract that covers the various scenarios that can arise and that states your property before marriage is yours.

I don't know why you you don't have title to your flat already if you bought it.    And forget about the laws of Holland; they have no application here.

I can give you some tips as I've drafted these contracts before; mostly taking the shoddy Ukrainian ones and firming them up.  But I am really, really, really busy this month.  It won't happen any time soon.  And it's serious work, like digging a ditch from Obolon to Golden Gate.

What you need to do is to write what you want protected; follow a template; then consult with a good lawyer and he will tell you what else to add or why your version is not ok; it will be redrafted, rewritten, and translated into Ukrainian with English in the other column of the notarized agreement. 

You, alone, need to go through this process at first, and think about what assets you have and what kind of protection you need -- the process starts with you (and obviously you aren't going to put your private financial details on Expatua).  So start the process yourself; and get in touch with lawyers.  Money well spent.

Start reading sites like this and get yourself ready:

It will start your thinking process about what you need, what should be added in terms of protection, and so on.  It's to jog your memory and get you thinking.
« Last Edit: 17:41 09-Jan-2018 by Reggie »
Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 821
  • -Receive: 1173
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #10 on: 00:03 10-Jan-2018 »
Lot's of times the Contractor who builds an apartment building has borrowed the money from the bank and can't transfer titles to the apartments when sold, because the bank has to be paid first, which might not happen for fifteen years (if ever.)  So, the buyer gets papers that say he or she own the apartment when the Contractor and the bank are paid.   This is not the ideal way to do it for a buyer, but it is very Ukrainian. 

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1391
  • -Receive: 1158
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #11 on: 00:51 10-Jan-2018 »
Lot's of times the Contractor who builds an apartment building has borrowed the money from the bank and can't transfer titles to the apartments when sold

That's right: The "Comfort Town" scenario.   Went there to buy when they were first building, and now that you mention it, that was one of the things that scared me off.   The other was building on some sort of hazardous waste or landfill - can't remember.
Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.