Author Topic: 5 Major Myths about WW2 and the Soviets  (Read 1854 times)

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2489
  • -Receive: 3880
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
5 Major Myths about WW2 and the Soviets
« on: 13:06 30-Sep-2014 »
Great article and translates nicely.

The only issue I have is that feel WW2 really began when China invaded Manchuria in 1931

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline Viiking

• Ruthenian
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 251
  • "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.?
Re: 5 Major Myths about WW2 and the Soviets
« Reply #1 on: 15:10 30-Sep-2014 »
    Too much to read at work during my breakfast or lunch quick scan of this site.   I will wade through it at home tonight.   
Military Historian and Translator

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #2 on: 12:27 22-Oct-2015 »
Old Thread but I need some help:

yeah that old Lend Lease Bug-a-boo crap.   I once read an interesting document on the web that had all of the allied delivers and ports of delivery for lend lease to the SU. I have been unable to find this document again. Has ANYONE see something like this? I have found plenty of what the US sent and when but not the entire Allied list with ports in the south (Iran) and north. Any ideas on this????

ALSO, I am looking for British equipment delivered around the time Kyiv was under siege in 1941. does anyone have a line on a complete UK list of materials, weights, counts etc. for the entire war? I can't find them for some reason.

I am looking to confirm foreign equipment issued to CCCP troops at the first defense of Kyiv, what it was (mostly small arms?) and where did they get them. I am guessing at this stage only the UK could have supplied weapons from the allied side on such short notice. This will confirm a telegram I have recently seen in a museum.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
John
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1659
  • -Receive: 3832
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #3 on: 12:19 23-Oct-2015 »
Would this be what you require or at least part of it?

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #4 on: 08:57 24-Oct-2015 »
Thanks. but this I have!  This is the US list. I am still looking for the official UK list as well as the doc that has the times and ports of delivery.
« Last Edit: 11:07 24-Oct-2015 by Old Perdun »

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1659
  • -Receive: 3832
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #5 on: 11:07 24-Oct-2015 »
This?

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #6 on: 07:37 25-Oct-2015 »
This?

Thanks, that is a great list !!!!! Hard for me to find.
Now the daunting task of finding the Allied delivery and shipping schedules :-(
Thanks again!

« Last Edit: 11:51 25-Oct-2015 by Old Perdun »

Offline MWDabbs

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 217
  • -Receive: 285
    • Opera Mobile Store Blog
« Reply #7 on: 11:08 30-Oct-2015 »
Excellent article. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login should point you to pages with the port/departure dates.  The data is in German, but easy enough to make out.  These don't have any manifest info.  That's likely to be harder to come by, though it should be possible to get a close approximation of the big ticket items.

IMO, Lend Lease was critical for Russia, especially for communications equipment and transportation.  Radios alone probably did more to help Russia than anything else.  Russia had a 4+ to 1 superiority in tanks and aircraft compared to Germany at the outset - and they got sliced and diced.  A portion of that was owing to logistics as well, KV's without ammo and spare parts aren't very useful.  Without the radios, Russia would have simply continued feeding the panzers with easy kills, regardless how many they produced. 

Without the trains, trucks and jeeps, Russia's advance to Germany relying heavily upon horses, would have added another year to the war, at least - reducing the effects of Bagration, likely preventing the development of the Courland and Korsun Pockets.  Shermans were concentrated in Guards Mech Corps, because unlike the T-34's, they had reliability/faster & more easily serviced for deeper penetrations (the only really good things about the M4). 

(Myths of the T-34 in WW2 - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We cannot afford governments that cannot afford to take care of our veterans.