Author Topic: Experienced Interpreter and Consultant For Hire  (Read 451 times)

Offline UkrConsulting

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Hello,

Are you looking for a quality interpreter? Do you need to set up a business, open a bank account, or find an apartment?
 I have over 5 years experience interpreting in various environments. I know Kiev, the people, and the culture so I can bring a local perspective. Having lived and worked extensively in Europe and North America, I am familiar with international standards.

Send me an email or PM and we can set up a meeting.
Looking forward to working with you soon.
« Last Edit: 15:55 30-Jan-2017 by UkrConsulting »

Offline Referee

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Experienced Interpreter and Consultant For Hire
« Reply #1 on: 11:23 20-Mar-2017 »
What is your email address ?

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1725
  • -Receive: 1288
« Reply #2 on: 12:40 20-Mar-2017 »
Send them a PM.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 908
  • -Receive: 727
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #3 on: 14:57 20-Mar-2017 »

Thanks to the OP for your intitial post and introduction. 

I am big believer that this type of information should be provided up front:

- Your name / Name of Company:
- Your fee Schedule / Rates (even if it's an estimate):
- Education:
- Types of industries worked in (legal / medical / tourism / construction etc.):

I am a retired lawyer; when I was working anyone could check whether I was good standing; check my rating; see if I had dissatisfied clients that complained about me online or elsewhere; see the areas and industries I worked in; check to see if I had ever been subject to professional discipline or malpractice actions or orders. 

You will find a similar practice in the U.S. and E.U.  Even for small businesses, like coffee shops, you will see the trend is to rate customer satisfaction through services like Yelp [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ].   And when Uklon was starting in Ukraine, I advised them to have a driver rating system so the customer would have at least some minimal information about drivers that were not conducting themselves appropriately, which was a smart move.  It's not perfect, but it's better than no information. 

Here in Ukraine, I employ translators, accountants, lawyers and other professionals.  Some I've helped find jobs overseas.  I encourage all to not hide information about themselves, conduct themselves ethically, and those that do generally are more successful.   

If the translation services are for something less significant, like facillitating a chat with in-laws, maybe this type of information is not that relevant.  But if you are translating legal instruments and life changing information, it's better to have the type of info I described. 

If Ukraine wants to join the modern world, then it should start conforming to standard business practices in the modern world.  And we should encourage that if we are serious about Ukraine making progress.

Offline VGera

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #4 on: 12:53 24-Mar-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

- Your name / Name of Company:
- Your fee Schedule / Rates (even if it's an estimate):
- Education:
- Types of industries worked in (legal / medical / tourism / construction etc.):

I think this kind of offer means NO company is engaged (unless one wants to pay official invoice and write off related costs, so can hire an interpreter at any available agency twice as expensive and not any better), so, no need to publish. And you think the guy must have a good diploma and special area experience to fluently speak English and know Kiev? While I have to agree that the expected rate would be quite informative.
Is there in general a demand for a "private" service of this kind? Maybe I should quit and jump into the business. I know few more cities except Kiev. ;)

Offline steveo

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 229
  • -Receive: 348
  • Growing older is no excuse for growing up.
« Reply #5 on: 23:32 24-Mar-2017 »
Standard situation in Ukraine, not many interpreters/translators pay tax so they won't advertise their name publicly. Those that do, charge more (usually), because their expenses are much higher. I work in this field and it frankly really annoys me that these under the table operators are spoiling the market for serious professionals. If you are running a business, pay tax and stop bottom-feeding, and undercutting the legitimate market of serious professionals who work in this field. 

I think this kind of offer means NO company is engaged (unless one wants to pay official invoice and write off related costs, so can hire an interpreter at any available agency twice as expensive and not any better), so, no need to publish.

I don't quite understand your point, are you saying that people should hire people who run businesses but commit tax fraud, so they can save money? And that these so-called operators are just as professional as those who don't commit tax fraud? And in addition, that their translation/interpeting quality is just as good as those who are operating legally?

I've found the quality of professional translators and interpreters who are legally operating in Ukraine is vastly different from the shady back-alley type dealers who run their 'businesses' out of their apartments - I have to fix-up their messes afterward, and can tell you I wouldn't waste a single kopek on their services, I'm yet to proofread a document without at least 5 major mistakes in it. 

Keep calm and let karma do its thing.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 23:46 24-Mar-2017 »

Steve's point about tax cheats is fair enough. 

My point is that they don't disclose their identities or work experience.  Even if you lie about your taxes (income), you can still say who you are and what experience you have. Tax is based on income not identity or work experience.   

Offline steveo

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 229
  • -Receive: 348
  • Growing older is no excuse for growing up.
« Reply #7 on: 01:41 25-Mar-2017 »

Steve's point about tax cheats is fair enough. 

My point is that they don't disclose their identities or work experience.  Even if you lie about your taxes (income), you can still say who you are and what experience you have. Tax is based on income not identity or work experience.   

The reason they don't say who they are, is because they do business like that, to avoid detection, no publicity about their prior work, no names in public forums. I know it is bizarre as a foreigner to think that these people operate like this, but they have being doing this, in some cases for decades.

To work as a consultant, the bare minimum you would need is FOP registration, so if you aren't FOP registered you could face extortion/blackmail etc...if you publicise the work you've done and state your name. The new fine for doing unregistered work like this is 300,000 UAH, so the bribe would likely be over $500. 

Keep calm and let karma do its thing.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 13:54 25-Mar-2017 »

The reason they don't say who they are, is because they do business like that, to avoid detection, no publicity about their prior work, no names in public forums. I know it is bizarre as a foreigner to think that these people operate like this, but they have being doing this, in some cases for decades.

Oh I know why they do it.  Agree 100%.   

Just last week my wife called a builder that was operating like this and he thought he could ramble on and on and not let me ask a single question or ask about his experience.  Showed him the door.  And told him "we've been doing capitalism longer than you, and the way you're doing it, is not how it's done.   If you don't care to hear what my requirements are for the job, take a hike."

One thing you will notice in Ukraine, salespeople think that if they ramble on and on, without answering a single question or by ignoring you and chatting with the wife, that will increase the chances of sale.

Offline VGera

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #9 on: 11:13 27-Mar-2017 »

I don't quite understand your point, are you saying that people should hire people who run businesses but commit tax fraud, so they can save money? And that these so-called operators are just as professional as those who don't commit tax fraud? And in addition, that their translation/interpeting quality is just as good as those who are operating legally?

Not really, steveo! This subject can hardly be discribed from all the aspects and points of view just in a few lines of forum format. What I am saying is that for the purposes, listed in the original post, you do not have to have an experiance of Obama's live speach translation. Its the same if you need a nail to be removed from the tire of your BMW, you can either call official dealer and reserve a time next week, come and pay some 200, or you can pull at the nearest more or less serious tyre service and get the same job done for 50.
I do not question the duty to pay taxes (which I do myself running a small trading business and same as you suffer from "back-alley type dealers", I would probably question the ways the taxes are collected and distributed in Ukraine, but this is another story). But I can also imagine somebody doing a good official job in a totally different area, while trying to "test water" somwhere else. I put myself in the circumstance and I would probably be acting the same way: 1. testing my possibilities getting time to time orders, and getting some extra money,  2. spending part of my time to a new "business" if it brings same or more money than the available job, 3. going full time engaged and register a company (or FOP) if the amount of work grows.
Of course, this is just my opinion, and I would also like to state that all I wrote was based on my pure assumptions and have no personal relation either to the topic starter or or his situation.
« Last Edit: 11:17 27-Mar-2017 by VGera »