Author Topic: Tourist scams  (Read 527 times)

Online ace123

• All this work and I get called:
  • Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 702
  • -Receive: 1935
    • Kiev Life
Tourist scams
« on: 13:43 18-Dec-2016 »
If you are new to Ukraine ? like any other tourist in any other part of the world there will be some who will try to get your money in whatever way possible. Here are some common scams:

a) Dropped wallet trick ? A man drops a bundle of US Dollars in front of you either wrapped in clear plastic or in a rubber band. You pick it up and call out to him ?Hey mister ? you?ve just dropped something!?. He then thanks you but asks where the rest of it has gone. Cue police arriving (phoney or on the payroll of the crook) to search you and your wallet. Hey Presto ? you have been fleeced.

b) Hryvnya ? Rubles. They both look the same if you are new here ? don?t accept change in ruble notes!

c) Taxis. This could occupy a whole website but basically don?t get in a taxi / car on street if there is more than one person in it or if the driver is drunk or is clearly on speed. Always agree your fare beforehand. If in doubt take a proper taxi ? don?t flag one down off the street. If he is wearing backless gloves and has Carlos Fandango stripes down the side of his Lada this could also prove to be a white knuckle ride.

d) Bankomat (ATM) skimming happens in most Cities from time to time... try to use the machine inside the bank.

Basically ? if you suspect that there is a scam and you can?t see a victim... it is probably you.

I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 907
  • -Receive: 726
  • 100% Against jellied eels
Re: Tourist scams
« Reply #1 on: 23:42 18-Dec-2016 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

a) Dropped wallet trick ? A man drops a bundle of US Dollars in front of you either wrapped in clear plastic or in a rubber band. You pick it up and call out to him ?Hey mister ? you?ve just dropped something!?. He then thanks you but asks where the rest of it has gone. Cue police arriving (phoney or on the payroll of the crook) to search you and your wallet. Hey Presto ? you have been fleeced.

This one was attempted on me.   Guy pointed to US dollars in a plastic bag.   I didn't touch it.   I just gave him 'THE look' (the evil eye) and he scooted along nervously.  Around the area of Lva Tolstoho.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 795
  • -Receive: 1096
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #2 on: 00:56 19-Dec-2016 »
That scam is now a popular tourist attraction by the Kyiv Opera House.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 00:58 19-Dec-2016 »

I didn't fall for it. 

But what happens when you touch the bag?   A real cop comes?  A fake cop comes?   His buddy comes?

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2438
  • -Receive: 3820
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #4 on: 06:49 19-Dec-2016 »

I like casual kicking the bag off to the side into someone else's path.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 10:46 19-Dec-2016 »

I like casual kicking the bag off to the side into someone else's path.

If you pick up the bag after someone dances around in front of you shouting: "Look!, Look! fortune has shined upon you.  There, unnoticed by all other bystanders, is a big bag of money right in front of your feet, in a convenienly see through bag, with tourist map!"   Then someone quickly approaches you: "Thank God you found that big bag of money I accidently threw on the ground at your feet!"  Cop approaches:  "I saw what happened and as an incorruptable authority, naturally I expect you to return the bag of money to this unfortunate butterfingered tourist!"  You hand the bag of money to the money dropper, who then says:  "This is only half the money I threw on the ground in front of you."  Is there no mercy, no kindness to strangers in this world!  Theif! Theif!  Officer, please collect the rest of my money from this man (you get half!)  Cop then says, and (yes he is a real cop unless dressed in camo without patches.) "Give this man his money back or you will answer for it at the police station which has even more expensive officers of the law."

Offline Dyldor

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Prysma's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: 13:31 06-May-2017 »
I have to ask - why does the whole two people in taxis thing happen? I remember once I was at a friend's house outside of the city, and the taxi company offered one with two drivers, but my friend's mother outright refused.

Is there some kind of sinister implication behind it, or just a general "keep safe rule"?
Dylan Williams
I run a Digital Marketing Business that aims to help Ukrainian businesses sell online, called Prysma - not trying to sell to you guys, but I love to network so feel free to send me some questions which I'll happily give you advice on!

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 10:01 07-Jun-2017 »
O.K., so I took a walk on Kreschatyk, and near Maidan this girl throws a monkey at me, just tosses it onto my shoulder, and starts asking me to get a photo with it.  I tell her several times "No photo," and eventually she relents and takes her monkey back.  I walk off, distracted and of course, within a minute two more monkeys are pitched at me.  "No photo, no Photo," as two guys aggressively pitch their monkey business.   Of course, photos with usually abused animals are an old Ukrainian tradition.  But, these people were unusually aggressive, throwing animals at passers by.  Plus, if someone is surprised and does a photo without thinking to negotiate, then the scam is that the photo will be expensive.

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1627
  • -Receive: 3782
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #8 on: 10:31 07-Jun-2017 »
David, dear fellow expatuan, you have been coming and going to Ukraine for many years. Surely by now you know the trick is to blend in, act and dress like a real Ukrainian and you can be certain the monkey trick will pass you by.

The snap below shows how you SHOULD dress and don't forget to call in the barber shop and request a чуб!

Shall I fetch my coat?
"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 10:34 07-Jun-2017 »

Walking with wife at Lva Tolstoy last night.

In front of me Gypsy girl with flowers in my face.

From behind an emaciated looking male drug addict just barely feeling my back pocket with finger tips.  Grabbed his wrist, spun his arm behind his back, checked my pockets and let him go.   They were surprised I felt it and was aware, and that I reacted.   

It's the season; watch yourself around tourist areas.  Center is a target zone.

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1723
  • -Receive: 1288
« Reply #10 on: 05:05 08-Jun-2017 »
I do a reverse Cossack hair cut.  Shaved clean on top and hair around the bottom..    ::)   

But I do have the `stache working well! :D
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Kord

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 296
  • -Receive: 188
« Reply #11 on: 13:00 09-Jun-2017 »
David, dear fellow expatuan, you have been coming and going to Ukraine for many years. Surely by now you know the trick is to blend in, act and dress like a real Ukrainian and you can be certain the monkey trick will pass you by.

The snap below shows how you SHOULD dress and don't forget to call in the barber shop and request a чуб!

Shall I fetch my coat?
That look is so old school, THIS is the new Ukraine man look. Get with it

Offline Kord

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 296
  • -Receive: 188
« Reply #12 on: 21:17 11-Jun-2017 »
That picture isn't totally accurate especially nowadays.
I'd say these guys are more prevalent attire at the moment:

and when not defending the borders they are wrangling fish from the mighty Dnipre.

Fishing, fighting, and f'g!
That's how real man do it!