Author Topic: Flying solo with 9 month old from Boryspil  (Read 374 times)

Offline Jmoscow3

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Flying solo with 9 month old from Boryspil
« on: 09:09 26-Apr-2017 »
I will be flying with my child who will be nine months at the time from Boryspil by myself. I am planning on flying with his birth certificate, translation, a notarized and translated note from his father, and obviously his passports. I also have a different last name does this pose an issue?  Does anyone know the procedures going through security? Can I bring liquid for his food? Can I bring canned baby food for him? I know this has been touched on before but he has both American and Ukrainian passports how do I deal with that?

Online julienp

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 213
Re: Flying solo with 9 month old from Boryspil
« Reply #1 on: 12:14 26-Apr-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I will be flying with my child who will be nine months at the time from Boryspil by myself. I am planning on flying with his birth certificate, translation, a notarized and translated note from his father, and obviously his passports. I also have a different last name does this pose an issue?
Be careful, the notarized document is a specific authorization from the father to allow you to travel with the child alone, it's not a random note. Your notarius should have the template for that.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone know the procedures going through security? Can I bring liquid for his food? Can I bring canned baby food for him?
Liquid & Liquid food yes, powdered milk yes, canned food I never tried
As far as I know, it's allowed to bring "baby food", but they may ask you to try it. If you really want, at security check, to taste your baby's canned lasagna...
Better take baby pot with a lid that can be closed back

Offline Jmoscow3

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
« Reply #2 on: 14:42 26-Apr-2017 »
Of course, not a random note! I make my own baby food but I don't think that will keep very well, but I'd be glad to taste the purees  :D

Online BobLviv

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 127
  • -Receive: 68
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
« Reply #3 on: 14:42 26-Apr-2017 »
Hint: Look at the airlines website for all your questions and see what is recommended.

In addition, did you think about asking special assistance because of your situation travelling with a very small child? I think e.g. about special seat, etc. but as well accompanying you towards the building to the gate and onward into the aircraft with priority and help.
Except of the obligations as a passenger, you do have rights as well, which you shall kindly apply for ;)

Have a safe trip :)

Offline Tiancai

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 64
« Reply #4 on: 15:38 26-Apr-2017 »
You should contact the airline to confirm what you can bring and how (maybe for some items like baby bottles, the staff will take them from you beforehand and hand it back to you on the plane, so that there won't be a problem with security). You should contact them beforehand anyway and have them reserve your seat at the front row where they can attach a "люлька" for the baby to sleep in. There are only two on the entire plane, so if there is more than one other person with a baby on the plane, you are risking the chance of not getting one and having to hold your baby the entire trip. I remember getting one when flying with my son (11 months at the time) from Beijing to Moscow, and he slept the entire 8 hours. Also on the way back took a backpack full of baby puree and little milk cartons (Агуша) on the plane and nobody said anything.

With the passports, at the boarding registration you only need to show the American one (hopefully you indicated its number when buying the ticket) and on Ukrainian border control you show Ukrainian passport only (if they ask about lack of visa you can show the American one, it's not a problem for those under 16), in U.S. you only need to show the American one.

Offline Ron-n-Sveta

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
  • we be live here
« Reply #5 on: 16:15 26-Apr-2017 »
not long ago sveta and i was dealing with same issues for airlines as we made the flights round trip 4-5 times in past 4 years
1. most airlines has bassinets for babies at bulkhead seating again make request
2. also if show only american passport should be no problems
3. every time we left kiev my child's food was never tested also the airlines most no have warmers for baby milk we asked they place baby bollie in bowl of hot water to warm it