Author Topic: Need a Restaurant Reccomendation...  (Read 556 times)

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2449
  • -Receive: 3824
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
Re: Need a Restaurant Reccomendation...
« Reply #15 on: 09:05 18-May-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Absolutely right, NO MUSSELS...ever, here.

Never in a restaurant where you don't know where that stuff came from .... but METRO sells frozen mussels which are very fine. No risk in those.

Now...if I only had a Metro or a Mega or anything except Cilpo(sucks), ATB(sucks more) and EKO(sucks worse).... SOMETIMES Cilpo has them, Green Lipped from Australia, but not very often.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline BobLviv

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 126
  • -Receive: 68
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
« Reply #16 on: 11:41 18-May-2017 »
For what it's worth,
(From Lviv, but that's just for situational awareness ;) )
An expat acquaintance here, who used to work as a professional cook before, managed to get fresh Dutch/Belgium mussels from the supermarket called Auchan, which is originally a French chain.
As I understood it, seen the price and the risk of freshness, Auchan does not bring those themselves. But, on order, yes they do, knowing that they will sell them instantly (delivery in 2-3 days). As usual, the bags go by 2 kilos and you pay EU price. No additions to that.

Then, I read here about all kind of river stuff, which for what ever (non)proved reason is acclaimed bad. Talking about mussels again, Black Sea mussels are famous and seems to be rather good. Maybe someone from Odessa has a more specific experience here to share?

As mentioned already, METRO wholesale supermarket does fresh import as well. The other day I noticed fresh mussels from Italy. Did not try it, though, yet.

Concluding, yes the easiest and best alternative is to go for the deep-freeze stuff, that is widely available in the 'better' supermarkets, at their usual prices, though.

@Michael A good small menu (dish) home-made of original frozen stuff, served on a nicely laid table with some candles, romantic music in the background and a good bottle of (foreign) white dry wine could make forget the lady about waiters and the like ;)

Bon Appetit :)

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1633
  • -Receive: 3789
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #17 on: 12:06 18-May-2017 »

Talking about mussels again, Black Sea mussels are famous and seems to be rather good. Maybe someone from Odessa has a more specific experience here to share?

Neither my wife nor I like mussels or any shell fish for that matter. However, the rest of our family and many friends adore them. We buy them on the beach from the diver! Friend Victor takes our purchase to the car park where he uses his portable stove to cook them in his secret sauce while we all prepare the picnic.

Our son assures us they are superb - sea to stomach in less than an hour.

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online frank1010

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 153
  • -Receive: 205
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #18 on: 00:35 19-May-2017 »
Absolutely right, NO MUSSELS...ever, here.

Never in a restaurant where you don't know where that stuff came from .... but METRO sells frozen mussels which are very fine. No risk in those.

Now...if I only had a Metro or a Mega or anything except Cilpo(sucks), ATB(sucks more) and EKO(sucks worse).... SOMETIMES Cilpo has them, Green Lipped from Australia, but not very often.

Funnny enough our Metro here always has fresh oysters (I think from France).

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Expatua
« Reply #19 on: 08:11 19-May-2017 »

Funnny enough our Metro here always has fresh oysters (I think from France).

Indeed Metro sells oysters, as well as shrimps and lobsters ..... only chilled and on the shelf within 48 hours, so no loss of flavour through freezing.

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online frank1010

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 153
  • -Receive: 205
« Reply #20 on: 10:22 19-May-2017 »
But the OP was requesting restaurant recommendations (for Kiev) and I hope he has succeeded to impress his woman ...

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 928
  • -Receive: 746
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #21 on: 10:54 19-May-2017 »
no loss of flavour through freezing.

I'm with you on spirit (because it's Ukraine and good to know where to buy decent stuff), but if you go to the fishing piers and docks from Boston to San Francisco and you taste the stuff right off of the boat.  Oh man, it's like heaven - nothing like it.  Melts in your mouth.  Lobster/Crab salads, Buns, Lobster Bisque, Shrimp, Clam Chowder.   A fresh lobster ravioli that will make you feel like you just got a BJ.

Google Union Bay Oyster house in Boston and Pier 39 in San Francisco.   

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Expatua
« Reply #22 on: 16:47 19-May-2017 »
But the OP was requesting restaurant recommendations (for Kiev) and I hope he has succeeded to impress his woman ...

Ah, but Frank, had we not added our assorted posts, the OP's post would have been the ONLY post on this topic.

Offline BobLviv

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 126
  • -Receive: 68
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
« Reply #23 on: 18:36 20-May-2017 »
Point taken.
I think some attempts have been made not only to point to the possible options but in addition to alternatives following the lack of proper options ....

Maybe I go a bit (more) off topic, but having read about the so-called "rubbish" that is been produced and sold in lovely Ukraine, I today met this interesting article, about You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ;) Just enjoy and have a great weekend :)

Offline Michael

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #24 on: 17:49 29-Jun-2017 »
Thanks to all who tossed ideas my way...
In a way to give a little info back, an update.

Here in Kyiv, the Egersund Market (Danish) seems to be
the absolute best quality. The store is in Pozniaky, which is
a PITA when you live in the Center.

BUT... They now have a shop inside the TSUM Market, right
on Kreschatyk. This is where I got mine. They were delicious.
And yes... Major bonus points were earned. I get asked all the
time, when you make shrimps again?  :P lol

I will try Metro at some point also, just to see..

Peace fellas. 

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: 19:59 29-Jun-2017 »

Here in Kyiv, the Egersund Market (Danish) seems to be
the absolute best quality. The store is in Pozniaky,

Peace fellas.

What do I win for my seafood advice?  :P

Maybe avoid seafood in Kyiv.  The best you can hope for is generally frozen.  The worst is just 'who knows what' disguised as fish or shrimp.

There is a Danish company that imports quality seafood (frozen but quality).  Don't remember the name.  Right at the Pozniky metro.    Edit:  Here it is:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

See photo below:  It is only a proper fish market with quality fish, but frozen.  But better than eating make-believe crap or toxic crap from the river.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Michael

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #26 on: 21:39 29-Jun-2017 »
Especially for you???

Next time I cook them... wait for it.... ALL of the shrimp tails
are yours!!!    :D

Great tip sir.. TYVM.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: 23:34 29-Jun-2017 »
ALL of the shrimp tails
are yours!!!    :D

Great tip sir.. TYVM.

:D :D :D :D 

Actually I give shrimp tails to my dog.  Felt guilty at first, but I feel less bad knowing she seems to have no problem digesting rocks, firewood, and the occasional dog leash.  She seems to like the left over tails, maybe I'll have a go too.

Offline Kord

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 296
  • -Receive: 188
« Reply #28 on: 18:10 01-Jul-2017 »
+1 for Tsum. Customer service is very pleasant and friendly. Food we had was great. Have not tried the steaks yet but they are dry aging in-house ribeyes, and some other cuts.
The remodel of the building itself is fantastic.

Silpo, Ashan, and Novus all have really upped their fish game.

Frozen shrimp, cod, haddock, et al. have been good quality from Scandanavian countries iirc. TBH a lot of sea food is flash frozen. Fresh is going to be hard to come by except river or lake fish like "Som". Many of these fish are harvested from fish farms but when fried or made in to soup are delicious.

Also don't forget the shrimp, octopus, and seafood mixes that are packaged in oil or water. Pretty good option for ceviche or thai dishes.

Speaking of octopus - Novus carries whole fresh octopus. Also fresh oysters, calamari, and squid on occasion.

Shrimp tails? i actually like tiger shrimp grilled with shell. crisp up the shells and they add a nutty flavor. ) sprinkle some lemon and pop those suckers on your mangal or not xaxa

thing i miss most right now are Santa Maria products: chili spices and taco spices : blew the missus away with tacos and homemade guac :) and there is nothing like a hearty bowl of chili with a cold brewski. melt a little cheddar, add some sour cream and chives and dig in.

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2449
  • -Receive: 3824
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #29 on: 18:51 01-Jul-2017 »
TBH a lot of sea food is flash frozen.

thing i miss most right now are Santa Maria products: chili spices and taco spices : blew the missus away with tacos and homemade guac :) and there is nothing like a hearty bowl of chili with a cold brewski. melt a little cheddar, add some sour cream and chives and dig in.

IQF (Flash frozen then hopefully vac packed) is really good. Fresh is nice but IQF is about as good as it gets especially if the IQF is done on the ship. If taken back to processing plant it is still damn good.

Santa Maria Products....damn your eyes for reminding me how much I miss Mexican.......
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.