Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Setting up a business / Re: Embezzlement in Ukraine
« Last Post by kyivkpic on Today at 09:00 »
If you don't want to involve the police. I would recommend you find out where she lives and find someone who would be willing to enact some justice if you want to keep your hands clean.
« Last Post by kyivkpic on Today at 08:42 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
@kyivkpic:

Have you had good experiences, getting help from Ukrainian police?

The old police, oddly enough, yes. I was stolen from and the guy tried to sell my stuff back to me. I paid some berkut guys to beat the shit out of him and they did.

The new police, I haven't had any experience with.
« Last Post by calmissile on Today at 03:52 »
A little fresh information:  the wayward administrator made phone contact with my fiancee, who travels tonight to Kyiv where they will meet tomorrow.  My fiancee didn't ask any probing questions, intending to save that for their meeting.

We learned that her husband, who has a long history of heart disease, is on his way to Germany for surgery ... so we have a pretty good guess where the money went.

Perhaps if we're lucky, she will agree to a little repayment when she will be able.

As my fiancee often says, "what we can do?"

PS  Thanks for all of the sensible suggestions, which may be valuable to other readers of this thread.  I don't anticipate that we'll have the opportunity to apply them to our present case, because of the obstacles to continuing this business.

I am waiting for hear if the meeting was to offer repayment for the fraud, or a request for more money for her husbands 'surgery'.
The Intelligence community keeps leaking embarassing material about Trump, but nothing solid and criminal so far.  The actual situation is that while Trump is no Putin, and is an idiot, he does seem to have mastered the Putin system of politics.  Trump politics like Putin's is about entertainment.   The campaign was a Putin style circus and now Trump is making the whole media dance to his tune with extreme, weird and improbable stories to keep the masses engaged and thinking about Trump and every little thing he does.  While Trump continues to poll very low numbers, it seems likely that the poll results are skewed by respondants being ashamed to admit support for Trump.   
   The concern might be more properly whether the President might spark a civil war or a nuclear war or something.  It seems unlikely that he has or will do something sufficiently criminal that will justify impeachment.
   Apparently Flynn committed no crime.  Manafort has not been charged with anything.   Basically Trump's pro-Russia cabal is being backdoored for being embarassments not for actual crime.
« Last Post by sosednik on Yesterday at 19:56 »
@kyivkpic:

Have you had good experiences, getting help from Ukrainian police?  My personal interaction with them has been limited to paying a little extortion.

When my fiancee first told me the news, and I asked about reporting this to the police, her first reaction was to laugh (which was a bit startling, as she was so shocked and depressed).

In addition to The Problem Of Police In The Former Soviet Space ... business was handled informally (a big mistake, as several people have commented above).  For this reason, we don't have documentary proof of wrong-doing.  It would be a case of one person's word against the other.

I certainly don't wish to reward wrong-doing.  Having worked in technology for 40 years, I try to understand what is practically achievable, and what is not.

Ironically, this thief "killed the goose that laid golden eggs" ... had she conducted herself honestly, she might well have ended up with substantially more money than she embezzled.  In this sense, perhaps there is some natural justice.

My sister also has a business (in the USA) and has been robbed by employees, though not by such a large percentage of revenue.  She also suffers from customers making outrageous claims against her, at least once or twice a year.  She understands that she is running a business, not a Ministry of Justice, and does her best to settle things quickly and efficiently, no matter how unfair.
What a wonderful story....I am more than sure for those of us that found the right Ukrainian woman to put a ring on her finger, our lives have changed dramatically in a positive manner. I wish you the best in your future journey :)
« Last Post by kyivkpic on Yesterday at 19:09 »
A little fresh information:  the wayward administrator made phone contact with my fiancee, who travels tonight to Kyiv where they will meet tomorrow.  My fiancee didn't ask any probing questions, intending to save that for their meeting.

We learned that her husband, who has a long history of heart disease, is on his way to Germany for surgery ... so we have a pretty good guess where the money went.

Perhaps if we're lucky, she will agree to a little repayment when she will be able.

As my fiancee often says, "what we can do?"

PS  Thanks for all of the sensible suggestions, which may be valuable to other readers of this thread.  I don't anticipate that we'll have the opportunity to apply them to our present case, because of the obstacles to continuing this business.

You can prosecute because excuses don't matter when it comes to criminal behavior. Suppose your child or loved one also had needed that money for emergency medical care? How do you know it's a true story? I don't mean to be harsh or cruel but you shouldn't reward criminal behavior.  She could have asked or even begged but stealing is wrong, regardless of circumstances.
They the FBI had a closed meeting yesterday with the house intel committee. Interesting times.
    Russia's official media affair with Donald Trump is on hold.  He is no longer in the center ring of the media circus there:

I don't agree with the contention that Russia expected Trump to win.  I think Russia merely wished to further polarize American politics and earn support from the Trump people as opposition figures.
Some belated explanation about me:

I'm not a true expatriate, but rather a "serial visitor" to Ukraine from my home country, the formerly United States of America.  I stopped counting my number of arrivals to Ukrainian passport control, but it's got to be more than 30 since my first visit in June 2004.  Most times I stayed only a few days to a couple of weeks, but nonetheless managed to have many memorable experiences ... sometimes deeply emotional, with really low lows and really high highs.

I had gotten sufficiently discouraged with the whole "Ukraine thing" that I didn't visit at all in 2013 (the only calendar year since 2004 when I stayed away).

When the Russian barbarians invaded in 2014, I felt tears running down my face, and finally understood how much I love Ukraine.  I came back in early summer 2014, walked the still-occupied Maidan, and visited the burnt-out trade unions building in Odesa.

I used to also spend a lot of time in Russia, before they started using Hitler/Ribbentrop as their guidebook for how to treat peaceful neighboring countries.

I learned a sort of child's Russian sufficient for a variety of practical communication, but have been too damned lazy to develop it further.

Now, my relationship with Ukraine has changed:  last summer, a remarkable (and often quite challenging) young Ukrainka with an equally remarkable (and also often quite challenging) small daughter, agreed to marry me.

Her family has taken me in with open arms.  I am always loved and welcome there.

In the course of the protracted and expensive immigration process, we will come together to the US by early autumn (if all goes well!)

In the meantime, I have been living part-time with my new family in the far west of Ukraine.  Our little one-horse town is about 70 miles from Romania, and I think a little over 100 from the Polish border.  I'd never been west before meeting my girl; it's really beautiful there, and very very Ukrainian :)

My Ukrainian vocabulary is pathetically small, but at least I can say "please" and "thank you," and sometimes remember the Ukrainian pronunciation of numbers.

After we begin our American Life, we plan to spend most of each summer in rural Ukraine, so the whole family can be reunited.

What more can I say?  Ukraine is a sometimes crazy country with millions of warm, kind (and sometimes crazy) people, who deserve so much better than they have today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10