Author Topic: Cash Machine "Shimmer" replaces the Hacking Skimmer  (Read 1161 times)

Offline SteveH

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 975
  • -Receive: 242
*** FRAUD / HACKING ALERT ***
 Beware and Share
 Coquitlam RCMP Economic Crime Unit (ECU) says these new, tiny card shimmers make the high-tech fraud ?You can?t see a shimmer from the outside like the old ?skimmer? versions, says Constable Alex Bojic. ?Businesses and consumers should immediately report anything abnormal about the way their card is acting.
That?s especially true if the card is sticking inside the machine.
 When the terminals were opened, they contained four very slim, plastic card ?shimmers? that contained microchips meant to illegally capture the banking data on your credit or debit cards.
If the data had been successfully stolen it could have been used to create fake credit or debit.
The bottom right photo shows the added "Shimmer"

Online sosednik

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 71
  • -Receive: 183
  • Героям слава! Смерть ворогам!
Re: Cash Machine "Shimmer" replaces the Hacking Skimmer
« Reply #1 on: 22:49 28-Jan-2017 »
I regret to report that the most sophisticated skimmers now fit completely inside the ATM card slot.

They are extremely difficult to detect by inspection from the customer's point of view.

The operator of the ATM can check for internal skimmers by opening the machine.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 817
  • -Receive: 1156
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #2 on: 23:49 28-Jan-2017 »
It is best to stick to ATM machines located inside banks or machines with a recepticle for EMV (Chipped cards.)  I don't think criminals using a device to read chipped cards have one that can fit in a dock for chipped cards as of yet.
Unfortunately, the upgrade for chipped cards probably is not installed on most ATMs in Ukraine.  The chip more or less assures that only someone with the original card will be able to make purchases or use ATM machines at brick and mortar locations.   

Offline BobLviv

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 69
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
« Reply #3 on: 09:01 29-Jan-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
.... machines with a recepticle for EMV (Chipped cards.)

Thanks for the explanation. Still I wonder how to recognise which machine uses chip or magnet-strip information.
For me, I slide my card into the appropriate slot, but what does that mean on the info reading aspect?

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3000
  • -Receive: 1293
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #4 on: 14:45 29-Jan-2017 »
.... machines with a recepticle for EMV (Chipped cards.)

Thanks for the explanation. Still I wonder how to recognise which machine uses chip or magnet-strip information.
For me, I slide my card into the appropriate slot, but what does that mean on the info reading aspect?

There should be a separate RFID card slot (only the chipped portion of the card goes in) like most pymt terminals at B&M locales use.
One out of three Hillary voters are just as crazy as the other two.

Online sosednik

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 19:02 29-Jan-2017 »
After doing a little more reading, I now have the impression that these "shimmers" can be made small enough to fit into an EMV slot.  They go in between the card and the spring contacts for the "chip" on the card.

In principle, this should not be useful, because an EMV card can't be cloned (at least, not in a way that works for an EMV reader).  However, many of the cards and ATMs are improperly designed in a way that enables the shimmer to capture information that will permit a fraudulent transaction.

The bit of good news is that even though these criminal gadgets are made quite thin, they are still thick enough to cause the card to "stick" in the slot, sometimes enough that it's hard to insert or remove the card.  So, experiencing "sticking" with the EMV slot is a clue that a shimmer may be in place.

There's another piece of good news:  if the card is issued by a US bank, your bank will make good fraudulent withdrawals/purchases, provided you report the theft in a reasonable amount of time.  (European banks have a fiction that EMV is perfect, and reportedly insist that all withdrawals/purchases are the cardholder's own.)  The best precaution is to frequently check your account, look for debits that don't belong, and call your bank pronto if you find anything.

Online julienp

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 224
« Reply #6 on: 20:28 29-Jan-2017 »
(European banks have a fiction that EMV is perfect, and reportedly insist that all withdrawals/purchases are the cardholder's own.)  The best precaution is to frequently check your account, look for debits that don't belong, and call your bank pronto if you find anything.
I had a belgian account, and after using the credit card in Ukraine, we got a withdrawal made in Vietnam the same day.
After a phone call, we filled a document and a couple weeks later our money was back in the account. The only question they asked was if we had made some payment over internet but there was 0 pushback to reimburse us.

Online jbenet

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 850
  • -Receive: 670
  • Death to (your name here)!
« Reply #7 on: 23:38 31-Jan-2017 »
Had my card copied here in Ukraine, and I ALWAYS check for the skimmers... someone tried to withdraw $2200 in vietnam with it... failed, because since living in this wonderful cash society, haven't had that much in it :P

Czech Unicredit froze it... sending me a new one :)

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 23:45 31-Jan-2017 »
Unfortunately as countries where the EMV chip is not used everywhere become fewer and fewer in number, card fraud escalates in the countries that still have many people using magstripe cards.   

Offline frank1010

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 170
  • -Receive: 243
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #9 on: 08:45 01-Feb-2017 »
Had my card copied here in Ukraine, and I ALWAYS check for the skimmers... someone tried to withdraw $2200 in vietnam with it... failed, because since living in this wonderful cash society, haven't had that much in it :P

Czech Unicredit froze it... sending me a new one :)

And do you know where? Since apparently you dont use your card often so it should be easy to review the points where you used your card .... I'd go to the police with that information.

Online jbenet

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 850
  • -Receive: 670
  • Death to (your name here)!
« Reply #10 on: 15:00 03-Feb-2017 »
Other than at the grocery stores, and the unicredit atm (checking balances), I only use it for renewing web hosting, getting paid by clients. So could be anywhere, really. I didn't use it on that day, and seriously, Ukrainian cops are more useless than a wet tissue.

Offline Kord

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 305
  • -Receive: 197
« Reply #11 on: 00:39 15-Feb-2017 »
the cops get persistent when they want to close the incident report file. We refused to close our case after the cops  basically said hey u r rich american (not) its no big deal.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1217
  • -Receive: 973
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #12 on: 02:59 15-Feb-2017 »

Maybe that's what they mean when they say 'change is coming to Ukraine' -- the change in your wallet, that is.

Ukraine has already silently devolved to a society where people don't trust law enforcement to protect them.  A lot of the kids fighting in formal and informal groups in the East will bring weapons back from the front lines and some of those arms will end up on the black market.

The problem is skimmers at ATMs, but other things too.   It will be a bumpy evolution. 

Online sosednik

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
They Got Me
« Reply #13 on: 05:31 12-Mar-2017 »
Today I received alerts from my bank that someone tried to use my ATM card in Russia.  Of course, my card was safely in my wallet ... so I must have run afoul of a skimmer.

I've been back in the US for almost four weeks, so the skimmer might have been at my nearest branch ATM ... but I suppose there's a good chance it was in Ukraine, where I used the card many times in the last few months.

This raises a practical problem for me:  my card is now dead, and it was one of the last of the true ATM cards (banks in the US only want to issue debit cards).  I wanted the plain ATM card specifically because it is useless without the PIN, and therefore safer for me to use in former Soviet countries.

If a US debit card is stolen, it can be used to make purchases without the PIN.

If I can only get a debit card, it will probably have a chip (EMV) ... but I haven't seen an ATM in Ukraine that I understood to be chip-capable.

If anybody knows of a bank in Ukraine that uses EMV technology in its ATMs, please post about it here!

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: 05:59 12-Mar-2017 »
I think you can ask your bank to disable credit transactions for your bank card, thereby making it only usable with the PIN as a debit card.  If that doesn't work you can just ask them to set the daily limit for credit transactions as low as possible.