Author Topic: Ukraine declares state of emergency - get ready for rolling blackouts  (Read 1113 times)

Offline kyivkpic

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1280
  • -Receive: 1209
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Protesters have blocked trains with coal from Donbass but the UKRAINIAN FUBAR EXPRESS is rolling right along.

Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 797
  • -Receive: 1096
  • Statue of the Motherland
Buying Donbass coal from the enemy has been and issue since nearly the beginning of the war.  For a time the Government deceived the public, pretending to buy coal from South Africa.   An end to coal purchases from Donbass would not only increase Russia's overhead, defund Mafia and some rebel groups, but it would also inspire dissent amongst the historically riotous miners.   The Government has had years to end reliance on coal or at least this particular quality of coal from Donbass.  Continuing the status quo is validating and reinforcing the status quo of a frozen conflict whose architects in Russia are trying to make viable through self funding such as this. 
This is awful for everyone, especially the vulnerable people who can't afford to manage with the situation. 
But, maybe it is an inevitable and logical step that is less costly in lives than other ways to confront Ukraine's enemies.

Online shuggah21

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 52
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Doesn't Ukraine export electricity to EU?

Offline steveo

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 229
  • -Receive: 348
  • Growing older is no excuse for growing up.
DTEK exports electricity, cue channel 112, courtesy of Ahkmetov, hysterically raging 24/7 about how we'll all descend into a pit of darkness, that the poor people of Donbas will go without their mining income, and that these veterans of the ATO manning the blockade are anti-Ukrainian.

The latest excuse is that entrepreneurs in Mariupol can't complete their orders because the coal isn't getting through...the arrival of Maidan III isn't far off, if the government keep on with this absolute BS, the weight of public opinion is currently siding with the blockade, but how long it will last with the constant fear-mongering and distortion of facts remains to be seen.

In the article below Ukraine claimed to have exported US$21.5 million worth of electricity in January 2017...go figure.

Keep calm and let karma do its thing.

Online Vitaliy50

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 41
Wow, Akhmetov and the rest of the gang should go die already.

There will be no blackouts.. All this fact distortion isn't helping anybody, but only adds to uncertainty. In the end it's about money to be made here and there. PS. Ukraine exports electricity to Donbas, and this is not a secret. Ukraine helps Donbas by selling them electricity and helps Donbas again by buying their coal, and then some Ukrainians have defected to Donbas as well, and are fighting against their brothers. It's a huge mess.

At least the blockade is there, it's good. I hope a positive result comes out of it. As in the talks on how to remove the cancerous Donbas area..

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
 It's not necessarily true that if Ukraine generates and sells surplus electricity somewhere, that that electricity can be delivered to any part of Ukraine's grid.   It could be that some of the surplus power would just get wasted if it can't be sold abroad or to Donbass or Russia, as it has been. 

Online shuggah21

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
I visit other countries, such as Turkey, and see solar power all over the place. I don't remember seeing any solar at all in Ukraine. Probably it would take too much money out of some oligarch's pocket.
« Last Edit: 13:05 17-Feb-2017 by shuggah21 »

Online Vitaliy50

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 41
I visit other countries, such as Turkey, and see solar power all over the place. I don't remember seeing any solar at all in Ukraine. Probably it would take too much money out of some oligarch's pocket.

That's not the reason. The main reason is return on investment. Everyone in Ukraine believes that a reasonable return on investment is 1-1.5 years max. It all boils down to mentality and general instability of the country. This mentality really slowing down any investment in the energy efficiency game. This is something that Groysman hopes to change. It will take time.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You

Ukraine's large solar photovoltaic plant is in Crimea...  That was the logical location, because of the climate. 

Offline EnglishMKyiv

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 260

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

Offline kyivkpic

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1280
  • -Receive: 1209

Solar power is our species' only hope for survival. If we can stop using oil and Fraking up our environment and destroy degenerates like Putin and dictators in the middle east by cutting off their funds, our children might actually have a future. 
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline steveo

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 229
  • -Receive: 348
  • Growing older is no excuse for growing up.
It's not necessarily true that if Ukraine generates and sells surplus electricity somewhere, that that electricity can be delivered to any part of Ukraine's grid.   It could be that some of the surplus power would just get wasted if it can't be sold abroad or to Donbass or Russia, as it has been.

It isn't actually 'Ukraine' exporting electricity, although every report states it as such. It's DTEK who exports most of the electricity, it's probably DTEK who is controlling the mines in Donbas (they were before the invasion), it is almost certainly DTEK receiving the coal in Mariupol, and it is definitely DTEK responsible for the statements from various ministers. And when I say DTEK, I actually mean Ahkmetov and the people behind him, who we never hear about but who use him like the puppet he has always been.

Since 2004, (and probably before then) those folk been in control of the government, nothing has really changed since then.

Solar, wind, tidal, and any form of renewable energy is the way of the future, smart people need to get together and organise, the time for intelligence is now.
Keep calm and let karma do its thing.

Online JTF

• Site Admin
  • Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 144
  • Have no fear!
Anyone bringing in South African Coal?  :D 8) :P
Що Що!!?

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1631
  • -Receive: 3788
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
Anyone bringing in South African Coal?  :D 8) :P

23 kg checked in?  ::)

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online shuggah21

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
I'm in Mariupol for a few days, and yesterday there was a protest of the blockade along with a counter protest in favor. Many of the protesters were local factory workers bused in and presumably still on the clock.

« Last Edit: 14:45 08-Mar-2017 by shuggah21 »