Author Topic: What currency should I exchange my money for  (Read 451 times)

Offline KJH

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 12
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
What currency should I exchange my money for
« on: 11:35 24-Jan-2017 »
I will be returning to Ukraine next month, with the intention to stay there for about 2 months and a half.

I have just left my job in Bahrain and I have about 10,000 Bahraini Dinars which I want to exchange for Ukrainian Hryvnia. Of course I can't find places that do this anywhere. So I will have to exchange the Bahraini Dinars to US Dollars, Euros or Pounds Sterling and then exchange one of them for Hryvnia.

But which of these 3 currencies should I exchange my Bahraini Dinars for and then subsequently exchange it for Hryvnia?

Is there much difference or will the difference be minimal?  Which option would you recommend? US Dollars, Euros or Pound Sterling. I want to exchange all of the Bahraini Dinars that I have. I guess the net outcome would be quite a lot of Hryvnia either way. I know the limit on cash allowed to be brought into Ukraine, but of course there are many other legal ways to bring money into Ukraine, so there is no problem on there.

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1688
  • -Receive: 3875
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
Re: What currency should I exchange my money for
« Reply #1 on: 12:37 24-Jan-2017 »
Personally, for what it is worth, I would go for $$$$$!

No matter, Trump or no Trump, the $$$$ is king in Ukraine.
"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Offline Chaneyjd

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: 13:20 24-Jan-2017 »
Some places won't take dollars if they are not mint condition.  I have been turned away for a stamp on the bill or writing.  If there is a tear places won't take it.  It sucks having a $100 and no hryvnia no one will take it. Be very picky of the dollars or euro's you take.

Online frank1010

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 166
  • -Receive: 225
« Reply #3 on: 13:38 24-Jan-2017 »
I have never had such problems when I changed any such currency in the local market .... nevertheless I would also suggest to go for US Dollars or Euros. Both currencies are fine in Ukraine. I would also keep my hard currency and change to Hrywnia only when you need to have Hrywnia ...

Offline SteveH

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 974
  • -Receive: 242
« Reply #4 on: 11:40 28-Jan-2017 »
$$$$$$$$$$$`s  Every Time, I have seen Bank staff give a customer Sellotape so she could stick back together her $100 bill that had been torn in half and then they Exchanged it.

Offline paper

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #5 on: 16:48 19-Apr-2017 »
Silver and BTC linked to debit card. IMHO.

Offline paper

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #6 on: 17:07 19-Apr-2017 »
USD if you don't want to babysit it and want a shot at a normal life. :D "Normal" ppl don't worry about macroeconomics, resistance lines, trend reversals and so on and just want currency that's relatively stable. In which case it's USD FTW
« Last Edit: 17:12 19-Apr-2017 by paper »

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 811
  • -Receive: 1132
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #7 on: 11:10 23-May-2017 »
They love the new Hologram style, plastic $US 100 bill, but hate the old paper one and hate the $US 50 bill.  Sterling is exchangeable, but not quite as universally accepted.  Euros are fine, exchangeable everywhere of course, but where you get an advantage with Dollars is that you can just use them to pay.  Apartment landlords and taxi drivers often want to be paid in $US and sometimes will accept them at over the official rate.