Author Topic: The Russian World is Not Enough!  (Read 390 times)

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 811
  • -Receive: 1132
  • Statue of the Motherland
The Russian World is Not Enough!
« on: 21:11 16-Apr-2017 »
Russia prepares an android robot gunsel for a tour of duty on the ISS:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2534
  • -Receive: 3960
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
Re: The Russian World is Not Enough!
« Reply #1 on: 07:07 17-Apr-2017 »
One EMP and it's game over.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 08:26 17-Apr-2017 »
The robot might be hardened against radiation, using special circuitry, particularly if it might be expected to work outside on the exterior of the ISS.  The space station itself is shielded against solar flares.   The ISS Crew's only hope will be to hide the robot's charging cable and offer it a defective, incindiary battery.

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #3 on: 16:01 17-Apr-2017 »
But wait, it is Russian, which means it will be attached to a cable, and have limited range and mobility. The small electronics power source will be "c" and "d" batteries and for the actual mobility charge most likely a car battery in the ass. Considering how technologically astute the Russians are I also expect, to have a rack of vacuum tubes in the back and old Apple II's as the main onboard computer hooked up to said cables for a guy to run behind and control this mega monster of technology.

Considering how current biped robots move I don't expect Russia to ever come up with anything on their own, let alone an actual stand alone model.

Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 16:26 17-Apr-2017 »
Let's not forget the American version, Robonaut 2.  Robonauts could not even stand, let alone stand alone.   The Robonauts deserved to be mocked just as much or if not more than This Russian version.  NASA played the straight man and pretended the Robonaut, legless Android, was not a publicity stunt and the media went along, pretending that the obvious resemblance to C-3PO was not the point pretending it was not merging technology and entertainment, a way to promote Hollywood supporters of the President.  To me, the Robonaut summed up the worst aspects of NASA and the Obama administration.  Not that there weren't any successes, but I for one, hated Robonauts...

« Last Edit: 16:29 17-Apr-2017 by David Rochlin »

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #5 on: 18:39 17-Apr-2017 »
Even the DARPA bots are a little clumsy and noisy.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 23:48 17-Apr-2017 »
Even the DARPA bots are a little clumsy and noisy.

If I had to do what they made poor Big Dog and Little Dog do, I would be clumsy and noisy too!  But, note that no biped or quadrapedal robots have made it past development and field testing, to be deployed as normal field equipment.  Only wheeled and tracked robots are going to be used by ground forces, for quite some time. (Not counting flying and sailing robots.)  Even Google pretty much gave up on walking robots.  Disneyland may be about to give it another go, though.  Animatronics, the new generation...

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #7 on: 06:44 18-Apr-2017 »
Even Google? lol that was a laugh. Hell if the Japanese can't make them...then forget it.

Except for those sex bots, yeah, those are cool...and they don't need to walk.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 14:22 18-Apr-2017 »
NASA has responded to Rogozin's plan to eventually bring robot Fyodor to the ISS and they do not rule it out, hiding this little gem of information in a host of high minded platitudes.  Ars Technica doubts it will ever happen, reminding the world of a number of other unlikely predictions Rogozin has made in the past, about future advances Russia would make in space exploration.  Still, putting one Robot on a supply rocket would seem well within the realm of the possible.  Just one robot son of a gun: