Author Topic: Speaking Club Host needed. Only English native speakers please!  (Read 449 times)

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2621
  • -Receive: 4090
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
Yep. Way too far to drive even if you are in Kyiv for peanuts.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline Serge1715

• Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Aa I already mentioned, I WILL PROVIDE a FREE transfer - you get into my SUV in Kiev and get out of my SUV in Chernigiv. The trip wont take longer than 90 minites. Also, there are NO native speakers in Chernigiv at the moment, this is why I have brought up thia idea - we are going to have NO competitors!! In addition, maybe I should simply ask about price per hour of such job? What would be the range of salary?

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1283
  • -Receive: 1039
  • 100% Against jellied eels

For most Westerners, whatever salary you offer probably will not be enough.

Because:

- they are used to higher salaries

- it involves major hassle, riding in a car to a far away place.  A 90 Minute commute is not a walk in the park; most people didn't come to Ukraine to sit in a car for that long on a regular basis.

- some Expats are used to being ripped off in Ukraine so they might not be willing to trust that they will be paid.

Your best bet is a student that's already there, who says "sure I'll do it."  But that doesn't seem available, so your next option is to find a Western partner and split everything 50/50.

Other information for you to include:

Number of students
Price you're charging students

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2621
  • -Receive: 4090
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Aa I already mentioned, I WILL PROVIDE a FREE transfer - you get into my SUV in Kiev and get out of my SUV in Chernigiv. The trip wont take longer than 90 minites. Also, there are NO native speakers in Chernigiv at the moment, this is why I have brought up thia idea - we are going to have NO competitors!! In addition, maybe I should simply ask about price per hour of such job? What would be the range of salary?

That is a 3 hour round trip commute. Just to speak with some Ukrainians. Last time I had a 3 hour (round trip) commute I made $230,000 a year. So you expect someone to make a 3 hour round trip and maybe 90 minutes in a classroom? Look, most of us are retired and our time is much much more valuable than what you are even going to suggest, just to talk. On top of that it is not once a week.... honestly, you are barking up the wrong tree here.

Most Ukrainians seem to think we will JUMP ON THE CHANCE to speak to students. You all seem to think that we will come like a called doggie.....Nothing could be farther from the truth. It is NOT lucrative even it if MIGHT be fun for a few visits. But if we wanted to do this instead of spending our valuable time with our families then we would be in China making $1000 a week teaching the Chinese how to drop their accent. I have several friends who make MORE than that there every week and that is small potatoes.

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy but you haven't even mentioned a pay scale for us to laugh at.
So for this job, you will pay for time from the moment they get into your car to drive until the moment they get back to Kyiv. Cheap would be $25.00 per hour.....that's what a common secretary is paid where I come from. For Ukraine a discount is in order and make that $20 an hour ... 3 hour round trip will cost you $60 PLUS class time per visit..can you afford $80 a day?

« Last Edit: 13:37 02-Dec-2017 by Fraucha »
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline Kord

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 309
  • -Receive: 205
Sorry to be a Negative Nancy but you haven't even mentioned a pay scale for us to laugh at.
:D

That commute. In winter.

In general it's a good thing Sergei is trying to do, so thanks for that.
Could be a good experience for someone somewhere.

Offline kyivkpic

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1411
  • -Receive: 1331
:D

That commute. In winter.

In general it's a good thing Sergei is trying to do, so thanks for that.
Could be a good experience for someone somewhere.

Indeed. Everyone starts somewhere or has no other options, lol.

People are being harsh because it just a speaking club. That's all. In Chernigiv, which is a nice place, I went there once to buy a truckload of potatoes a special breed from Holland for planting. It is a long bumpy road and nothing to see but fields and farms in various conditions.

It would probably be more feasible for the students in Chernigiv to arrange a weekend in Kyiv and meet with expats to practice English. 
« Last Edit: 16:36 02-Dec-2017 by kyivkpic »
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1283
  • -Receive: 1039
  • 100% Against jellied eels
People are being harsh because it just a speaking club. That's all.

He has a nice idea.  I hope it works for him and the people there. 

But to induce most native speakers to take that trip, it has to make economic $en$e. 

Otherwise, it has to be someone who is a student that might do it for a budget wage, or someone with a lot of time to burn.

But still I say it's a great idea.  That town should write to the central government and say "Hey, we need some foreign exchange students in this town - get off your butts and do something." 

I hope it works out.   But we have to be realistic with him to: Most Expats wouldn't take that trip on a regular basis if the reward was a blowjob, a back rub, and bathtub full of diamonds.  He wants a business -- it's a nice business idea; he wants to keep the profits; but it will be hard to get someone to volunteer to go the Belarus border on some bumpy and snowy road for peanuts. 

Some other options:
- Do it once a month, and bring the students to Kyiv on an "excursion."
- Get a foreign partner - go in 50/50.
- Do a video lesson by Skype.
- Tell the central gov. to get some foreign exchange students up there.
- Do it as a nudist colony / English seminar and invite the sex tourists from Odessa. :D

What I'm saying, I think, is that it takes some more thinking outside of the box.   The business model, in its current form, requires too much for too little.  Still it's a great and worthwhile idea; just make it work.

« Last Edit: 20:40 02-Dec-2017 by Reggie »

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3051
  • -Receive: 1314
  • Gainfully unemployed
Most Expats wouldn't take that trip on a regular basis if the reward was a blowjob, a back rub, and bathtub full of diamonds.

Speak for yourself fella.  Some of us are cheap AND easy.   :D
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!!

Online VGera

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 82
  • Is everything already bad, or still getting worse?

Have you ever seen the Airplane movie where Mrs. Cleaver speaks jive?  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login