Author Topic: Good Morining Gents  (Read 679 times)

Offline BlueGold19590

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Good Morining Gents
« on: 06:20 21-Apr-2017 »
Pleasure to have found this site!

I will be traveling to Ukraine in just over a month for an extended vacation as she seems like an interesting country. I am a  U.S. Marine Corps Veteran who will be graduating university in May and currently live in Alaska South Central. There are a lot of things I would like to know about Ukraine, especially locations of boxing gyms, dance classes (tango preferred), and the visa process. I look forward to exploring this site for answers and asking the good expats of this forum if I have any questions.

v/r,

BlueGold19590   

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1895
  • -Receive: 1451
Re: Good Morining Gents
« Reply #1 on: 07:54 21-Apr-2017 »
There is no visa process for the 90/180 visits. 90 in country out of 180 total.  I'm not sure about the dance halls or gyms though. Does the BushCo count as a dance hall?   :D :D :D
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2621
  • -Receive: 4090
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #2 on: 08:03 21-Apr-2017 »
If you are here to meet girls, the Tango will not cut it.
Just bone up on crappy disco and hip hop dance music and be prepared to listen to cover bands singing badly.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 08:24 21-Apr-2017 »
Actually the tango might have some good points. They're giving lessons here and some of the ladies going are very hot..

Actually BG19590, I'll be back there on Weds for a couple of months. You could contact me there and have a chat.
« Last Edit: 08:28 21-Apr-2017 by AkMike »
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline kyivkpic

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1411
  • -Receive: 1330
« Reply #4 on: 08:55 21-Apr-2017 »
I used to go to boxing lessons here in Kyiv but the local drunks on the street provide plenty of opportunities to punch someone in the face if that's what you need.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3051
  • -Receive: 1314
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #5 on: 09:09 21-Apr-2017 »
Welcome to the zoo BG, from a 30 year Chair Force vet.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!!

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1283
  • -Receive: 1038
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #6 on: 10:17 21-Apr-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
be prepared to listen to cover bands singing badly.

Come on, be fair about it.  Some of the cover bands are good.   I went to that Blues Cafe, and I enjoyed it.  Inflated Expat prices, but worth a visit and food was decent.

However, Lionel Richie and Madonna videos playing on the TVs in the restaurants from 100 years can get a bit much.  It's that feeling that you've had too much to drink before you've had anything to drink.

Offline Hairball

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 193
  • I live here....
« Reply #7 on: 00:19 22-Apr-2017 »
Welcome to the house of crazies  ;D

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #8 on: 08:27 22-Apr-2017 »
be prepared to listen to cover bands singing badly.

Some of the cover bands are good.

NO. Just NO! I grew up in the SF Bay Area, in the 60's. Went to more concerts of ORIGINAL ARTISTS than I can count, Monterey Pop Fests. also, Day On The Greens.... Even the Beatles.  I have seen nearly everyone at least twice. During the 70's while in the Army I hit the Euro circuit also. In the 80's and 90's saw everyone again and again old and new. You know, I seriously lost count of how many times I have seen the Who live, I have run out of fingers seeing Townshend solo...

Then...I saw cover bands...Fraking guys who didn't have their own music, couldn't write their own music and had to make money off the backs of their betters.
Cover bands suck they are a poor substitute(my coke for gin) for the real thing and will never ever be any better than Ukrainian lip syncers.

I will kill myself the day I see some jerk attempting to cover Thomas Dolby...that will be the day the music dies.

Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1789
  • -Receive: 3954
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #9 on: 12:54 22-Apr-2017 »

Monterey Pop Fests.

Jealous! I searched for you while listening to the late great Otis Redding ....

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1283
  • -Receive: 1038
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #10 on: 16:26 22-Apr-2017 »
NO. Just NO! I grew up in the SF Bay Area, in the 60's.

San Francisco in the 60s was the Gold Standard for music.  I'm not going to argue with that.  Hell you didn't even need to see a cover band:  John Lee Hooker, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, the Doors.  These types of people were in the clubs. 

Then...I saw cover bands...Fraking guys who didn't have their own music, couldn't write their own music

Hang on - Hang on - Hang on:  Blues music is mostly covers.  I don't mind that at all.  That's the tradition.

But yeah, I don't want hear a Lionel Richie cover.  Hell I don't even want to hear  the real Lionel Richie; as in never-ever.   :D

But to go and see John Lee Hooker in a little club doing Blues standards.  Priceless.

I think I get what you're saying:  I love the real Elvis, but I can't stand Elvis impersonators. 
« Last Edit: 16:42 22-Apr-2017 by Reggie »

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #11 on: 20:38 22-Apr-2017 »
I went to Chicago to send my boys to a U-2 concert in Chicago with Garbage(?), anyway I was happy to be in Chicago. They went to U2, I had nothing else to do except eat (at Rick Bayless' Frontera (awesome f ucking Mexican) Grill....So..I wandered into a club, (on Clark Street???) and there Dennis Quaid and Issac Hayes were on stage jamin'. I can hardly remember much, other than it was one of the best nights ever, I was in heaven, I mean the Black Moses himself!!

Not counting that barely legal big breasted Vietnamese exotic dancer I found in Saigon. Yeah, that, that is number one.

Offline BobLviv

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 133
  • -Receive: 77
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
« Reply #12 on: 20:47 22-Apr-2017 »
Seems the introduction of this newbie got lost in music, or did he leave again with the music ....  :-X
« Last Edit: 19:32 23-Apr-2017 by BobLviv »

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #13 on: 17:24 23-Apr-2017 »
Most n00bs leave when it is clear they are not gonna get any dating tips for picking up hot yet poor Ukrainian late teens early 20's girls who would sell their granny to get out of Ukraine. Or, they realize that they have nothing to offer other than the fact they speak English and yet are not certified to teach. You know the usual.
« Last Edit: 19:45 23-Apr-2017 by Fraucha »

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: 18:10 23-Apr-2017 »
Awww give him a chance to wander back. He's probably got his hands full during spring break up.