Author Topic: Tsar Vladimir Grozniy Again Punishes His Own People  (Read 314 times)

Offline sosednik

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 159
  • Героям слава! Смерть ворогам!
Or, "Putler:  What an Asshole"

1.  When the US passed the Magnitsky Act, with its sanctions against Russia's mobster government, Putin in a spluttering impotent rage responded by forbidding US citizens to adopt children from Russia.  He forcefully avenged himself against the troubled, and often seriously disabled babies and children of Russia's orphanages!

"Pow!  Take that, you deformed Russian babies!"

What a hero!!!

At the time, a Russian wag made an image showing Putin's stern face, with the words "If NATO attacks, we will bomb Voronezh!"  (Voronezh is an historic Russian city south of Moscow)

Note:  The Magnitsky Act was a topic discussed by Trump Jr in his now famous campaign conference with Russians (by his own admission), and by Trump in his after-dinner sidebar conference with Putin in Hamburg (by his own admission).

2.  When Europe and the US imposed sanctions against Russia's invasion of Ukraine, Putin in a spluttering impotent rage responded by blocking imports of certain foodstuffs from the EU.  He forcefully avenged himself against Russia's many millions of poor, who need most of their income to put food on the table, as well as those more affluent Russians who enjoy high-quality foods from Europe!

"Zap!  Take that, you filthy Russian poor!"

What a hero!!!

3.  Now, in response to new sanctions enacted by Congress, Putin in a spluttering impotent rage responded by ordering large cuts in US diplomatic staffing in Moscow.

The numbers are confusing -- it's not clear the Putin knows what he's talking about here -- but the biggest losers will likely be hundreds of Russian citizens employed as service workers for diplomatic and consular activities, and many thousands of Russian citizens wanting to obtain visas for travel to the United States.  With reduced staff, visa processing times are likely to grow from a few days to weeks, or even months.

Putin forcefully avenges himself against Russia's working men and women, and those who for business, educational or family reasons want to visit the US.

"Boom!  Take that, you damned Russian citizens!"

What a hero!!!

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1688
  • -Receive: 3875
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
Re: Tsar Vladimir Grozniy Again Punishes His Own People
« Reply #1 on: 16:14 31-Jul-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The numbers are confusing -- it's not clear the Putin knows what he's talking about here -- but the biggest losers will likely be hundreds of Russian citizens employed as service workers for diplomatic and consular activities, and many thousands of Russian citizens wanting to obtain visas for travel to the United States.  With reduced staff, visa processing times are likely to grow from a few days to weeks, or even months.

Putin forcefully avenges himself against Russia's working men and women, and those who for business, educational or family reasons want to visit the US.

"Boom!  Take that, you damned Russian citizens!"

Great post. The above was what I was thinking and, hopefully, any Russian staff who lose their jobs will tell every Tomski, Dickov and Harryev, thereby stirring a decent amount of unrest.
"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online frank1010

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 225
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #2 on: 04:16 01-Aug-2017 »
Media reports are saying Putin demands staff at all US missions in Russia to be reduced by 755 heads. Well it is estimated that the total staffing at the US missions is approx 1200 head and that approx 450 are sent from the US (hence approx 750 are local (non US) employees. So reducing the heads by 755 is an easy task, just fire all local russian employees and the new Putin requirements will be fulfilled. Hence Putin has successfully sanctioned - his own people ....

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2534
  • -Receive: 3960
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #3 on: 15:38 01-Aug-2017 »

I am not sure what the hell Putin is thinking, but this seems like the only thing he can do. Seriously, no one in the USA buys those wooden dolls...they don't have anything else. The more he screws with the USA the more he ignores China, who will not only eat Russia's lunch, but first breakfast, second breakfast, dinner, supper, vodka and potato time, and their borscht too.
As much as I hate Putin, he needs to get his sorry ass out of Syria and Ukraine and address the screwing he got over the last oil deal with China and keep a weather eye on India also.

Shutting off VPNs is such a dick move when you got nothing else for your people, might as well just box them all up now. He must think it is a good thing to do. Apple shutting off VPNs in China really has little effect as the largest corporation in the world has the majority of their manufacturing facilities in that country. This is a poor thing for Russia to follow.

Still looking for a 100 year revolution this October....
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline sosednik

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 16:09 01-Aug-2017 »
Fraucha,

It's funny that you mention the nesting dolls ...

I have a great friend from Ukraine who has long lived in the US, and became a citizen years ago.  He plays football (soccer in the US) religiously, on a team where all of the guys speak Russian.

After the invasion in 2014, he was observing how dependent Russia's economy is on petroleum, and the Russian men on his team were saying, "no no, Russian industry is booming."  Evidently, they were believing the Putin Press.  Thinking about what my friend told me, the question came to my mind, if an American rummages around their house looking at manufactured goods ... can they find anything that says "Made in Russia" ? ? ?

Maybe if an American home has a nesting doll, or a Kalashnikov.  But I think a lot of AKs are now made in countries other than Russia ...

This story is another great example of Putler punishing his own people.

Businesses and individuals use VPNs when they need security and privacy.  By outlawing them, Putin will render all sorts of Russian businesses more vulnerable to hackers.  There's some possibility that more of the dirt of his own government will become public, because of this foolish tantrum by the little rat-faced dictator.

What a hero !!!!

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #5 on: 19:30 01-Aug-2017 »
Over the long years with Measurex and Apple I went to many industrial and/or technical shows/conventions, and if I look back and have to count, it is somewhere over 30.
I honestly can think of a single instance where products or inventions from Russia were present..some large truck company who's name I have never remembered.

Russia has nothing to offer, other than slave labor. They buy everything they need, and in the long run that will bite them in the butt, because in a country without innovation all you have is consumers who will run out money. Even today I can't think of any significant Russian contributions to the world of man.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1125
  • -Receive: 872
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #6 on: 03:53 02-Aug-2017 »
Russia has nothing to offer, other than slave labor.

They're even running out of slave labor. 

Even Putin predicts that Russia's population will dwindle to just 107 million by 2050.

107 million people trying to control a country the size of Russia, which is twice (1.8x) the size of America, is like two bees trying to rule over all the tulips in Holland. 

Offline sosednik

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 07:27 02-Aug-2017 »
@Fraucha:

some large truck company

Could it have been Kamaz (Камаз)?  Their trucks are awe-inspiring; I think they must be the toughest in the world.

But even that is a mixed win for Russia.  They must have extraordinarily durable trucks their, because incomprehensibly vast areas lack any road network, and the "paved" roads they have are so God-awful.

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #8 on: 07:42 02-Aug-2017 »
@Fraucha:

some large truck company

Could it have been Kamaz (Камаз)?  Their trucks are awe-inspiring; I think they must be the toughest in the world.

But even that is a mixed win for Russia.  They must have extraordinarily durable trucks their, because incomprehensibly vast areas lack any road network, and the "paved" roads they have are so God-awful.

That may have been it, but it was long ago. Big blocky thing.

and speaking of how poor Russia is and how they really don't have anything...here is a little tidbit from Apple that sold 1.2 Billion iPhones so far...."The company forecast total revenue of between $49 billion and $52 billion for the current fourth quarter, while analysts on average were expecting $49.21 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S."  One company.... and then there is Russia how many wooden dolls can they sell?

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #9 on: 21:24 12-Aug-2017 »
Price updates....pretty frigging sad...makes me think of that China Russia Oil deal based on $100 a barrel....poor bastards needed $80 to break even....

Offline sosednik

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 01:06 13-Aug-2017 »
@Fraucha:

Previously, you wrote about "the screwing [Putin] got over the last oil deal with China."

I gave up on following the news on Russia's petroleum business a couple of years ago, so I don't know which deal you have in mind (apparently, there have been a few).

In any case, to the extent that Russia's energy agreements with China are adverse (and the 2014 gas deal was pretty much of a train wreck), I wouldn't say that Putin is getting screwed, but rather that he is screwing Russia (yet again).

If Russia had followed a peaceful path, then its petroleum business with Europe would be much stronger (and have a better outlook going forward).

If Russia had followed a peaceful path, then its own petroleum industry would be benefiting from massive foreign investment and Western technology, reducing the high cost structure of much of Russian petro production.

If Russia had followed a peaceful path, then it wouldn't have felt the need to demonstrate its supposed "economic independence" by accepting rock-bottom rates China has been offering for many years now.

All of this economic sacrifice, for some Ukrainian land that is less than worthless to Russia (because in fact, it is a rather heavy economic liability).

Some who want to defend Russia's depredations (like certain guys whose names start with 'D') will recite the old chestnut that a naval base in Crimea is necessary for Russia's survival.

Let it suffice to say, that that is an alternative fact.

Offline sosednik

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
Putin Smacks His Own People & Then Blames USA
« Reply #11 on: 18:37 21-Aug-2017 »
Because the USA has been forced by the Kremlin to greatly reduce its embassy staff in Russia, it must cut back its processing of visa applications by Russian citizens.

All non-immigrant visa operations will be suspended for about 10 days.

In a statement, the embassy said that "Capacity for interviews in the future will be greatly reduced because we have had to greatly reduce our staffing levels to comply with the Russian government's requirement."

The US will no longer process visa applications at its consulates in Sankt Peterburg, Yekaterinburg, and Vladivostok:  all Russians must now go to Moscow.

For a Russian on the Pacific coast who can't afford to fly, it will take two weeks to manage a consular appointment (the rail trip each direction is a bit longer than 6 days).

Wait times for visitor visa appointments in Moscow have already been running to 70 days.

Sergei Lavrov, Russia's filthy lying reptile of a foreign minister, said "The American authors of these decisions have come up with another attempt to stir up discontent among Russian citizens about the actions of the Russian authorities."

That's Putin's Russia in a nutshell (or better, a nut's hell).  Exploit, neglect, betray and victimize your own populace ... and then blame the West.  Well played, boys!

Online frank1010

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 225
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #12 on: 08:43 22-Aug-2017 »
Yup well said Sosednik. A classic case of someone shooting his own foot. What a dumbass troup. Amazing that such things don't stir up the people.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 811
  • -Receive: 1132
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #13 on: 14:31 22-Aug-2017 »
Russia has a nice titanium business.   
   Russia also does a significant nuclear power business and a strong position in Uranium mining and trading.  Why, they even own mining interests in Canada!
At my store, I sell a few imported, Alessi brand food products.