Author Topic: Phone advice needed.  (Read 370 times)

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1688
  • -Receive: 3875
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
Re: Phone advice needed.
« Reply #15 on: 11:39 07-Aug-2017 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I didnt know you could do itunes on a windows unit.

Works fine.

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2887
  • -Receive: 1227
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #16 on: 13:35 07-Aug-2017 »
3G or Edge is the phone network data standard (speed) ... in europe the standard is 4G (LTE). You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So the 4g and 3g will only work in specific countries and Ukraine requires 3G?

It depends on the service Dan. 

In Kyiv and some other large metropolitan cities, 4G is possible in some parts, due to upgraded infrastructure.  My Galaxy is capable of 4G, but 3G is the best speed I've seen in my city.

Here in Maine (out in the sticks) my Droid only gets 3G, but in town 4G.
One out of three Hillary voters are just as crazy as the other two.

Offline Danno99

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #17 on: 00:58 10-Aug-2017 »
Where do you wish to use the phone? In the US and Ukraine? You need to check the bands because in the US several frequencies are available and a phone with US specs might not work in Ukraine .... better buy the international version of such a phone. I wouldnt buy the phone you have found. I would spend a little more and go for the HTC one M9.

My US bought iPhone (3GS) that I brought over worked fine after I had it unlocked here. It was previously under Apple's bullpoop AT&T hardwired contract until they issued special codes to break it. There is NEVER an issue with frequency on an Apple phone, because all 1billion+ iPhones are designed that way. (pats himself on the back...thanks to MY Specs I wrote for Apple). I have had visitors from the USA here who pulled out their sims, and inserted a Ukrainian (KyivStar) and phones worked great. I now have a iPhone 6sPlus 128g that works flawlessly here. Most Mormons and 90 day Christian wonders do the same...but then they all have/had iPhones ... so...

So to be clear, all iphones with a sim card will work there? If I bought an unlocked one it should be ready to go? I bought an Ipad this way and I simply put a sim card in. Worked great.
Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2887
  • -Receive: 1227
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #18 on: 02:21 10-Aug-2017 »
Where do you wish to use the phone? In the US and Ukraine? You need to check the bands because in the US several frequencies are available and a phone with US specs might not work in Ukraine .... better buy the international version of such a phone. I wouldnt buy the phone you have found. I would spend a little more and go for the HTC one M9.

My US bought iPhone (3GS) that I brought over worked fine after I had it unlocked here. It was previously under Apple's bullpoop AT&T hardwired contract until they issued special codes to break it. There is NEVER an issue with frequency on an Apple phone, because all 1billion+ iPhones are designed that way. (pats himself on the back...thanks to MY Specs I wrote for Apple). I have had visitors from the USA here who pulled out their sims, and inserted a Ukrainian (KyivStar) and phones worked great. I now have a iPhone 6sPlus 128g that works flawlessly here. Most Mormons and 90 day Christian wonders do the same...but then they all have/had iPhones ... so...

So to be clear, all iphones with a sim card will work there? If I bought an unlocked one it should be ready to go? I bought an Ipad this way and I simply put a sim card in. Worked great.

Yep
One out of three Hillary voters are just as crazy as the other two.

Online Fraucha

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2534
  • -Receive: 3960
  • I have equal disrespect for everyone.
    • Sundra-Tanakoh
« Reply #19 on: 08:43 10-Aug-2017 »

Yes...but to be very very clear...your AT&T and whatever is in the USA will not be a smart thing to use, if it will work at all, international charges will rape you.

Just buy Life or Kyivstar for less than 100r you have a new phone number. You can buy recharge minutes cheap anywhere or link it into your bank account, and have them recharge it. For 300r I get about 2.3 months of useage on Life before I recharge it. Unlimited SMS free calls to same carrier and I never have run out of net access bytes. The only iPhone feature I don't have is voice mail, but there are sooooo many ways to get around that with Messenger or Viber it is not even an issue. Install a free VPN like SurfEasy VPN and you are set for even using VK.

Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 811
  • -Receive: 1132
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #20 on: 10:26 10-Aug-2017 »
3G or Edge is the phone network data standard (speed) ... in europe the standard is 4G (LTE). You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So the 4g and 3g will only work in specific countries and Ukraine requires 3G?

All 4G phones are backwards compatible to 3G

Online David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 811
  • -Receive: 1132
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #21 on: 10:36 10-Aug-2017 »
You can search iPhones on ebay and find a used unlocked phone.  If it is used it can be nice if it specifies clean or clear MEI which means it was not on contract.  I have bought several that way, over the years.  With the iPhone 8 coming out within two months, the price of all earlier models decline.   I would say it is a good time to buy a used iphone 6s or 6s+
I have no involvement in this transaction:
For example:

Offline Danno99

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: 04:39 12-Aug-2017 »

Yes...but to be very very clear...your AT&T and whatever is in the USA will not be a smart thing to use, if it will work at all, international charges will rape you.

Just buy Life or Kyivstar for less than 100r you have a new phone number. You can buy recharge minutes cheap anywhere or link it into your bank account, and have them recharge it. For 300r I get about 2.3 months of useage on Life before I recharge it. Unlimited SMS free calls to same carrier and I never have run out of net access bytes. The only iPhone feature I don't have is voice mail, but there are sooooo many ways to get around that with Messenger or Viber it is not even an issue. Install a free VPN like SurfEasy VPN and you are set for even using VK.

Thanks for that note.
No, there was no thought to use a US plan abroad.

Offline Danno99

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: 04:42 12-Aug-2017 »
You can search iPhones on ebay and find a used unlocked phone.  If it is used it can be nice if it specifies clean or clear MEI which means it was not on contract.  I have bought several that way, over the years.  With the iPhone 8 coming out within two months, the price of all earlier models decline.   I would say it is a good time to buy a used iphone 6s or 6s+
I have no involvement in this transaction:
For example:

Thanks for that example. IS there an Ebay that Ukraine use? I know a number of countries have their own version

Offline AkMike

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1799
  • -Receive: 1364
« Reply #24 on: 07:24 12-Aug-2017 »
Not a local Ebay but OLX.ua and ria.com are major sites of goodies for sale. No auctions like Ebay though.  moyo.ua has pretty good internet prices for electronics as well as rozetka.com.ua.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Hairball

• Expat XO
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • I live here....
« Reply #25 on: 11:36 13-Aug-2017 »
I bought a 2 sim nokia yesterday for 20 bucks at ashan

Offline Дідусь

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1688
  • -Receive: 3875
  • Retired, living near the cognac distillery!
    • Expatua
« Reply #26 on: 15:48 13-Aug-2017 »
I bought a 2 sim nokia yesterday for 20 bucks at ashan

HB wsn't joking either. It is true! A basic 2 SIM, no frills from a great name:

"When surrounded by the dark void of the wilfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Pompey Nik