Author Topic: Risk of bank fraud from international banks in Ukraine?  (Read 136 times)

Offline Euriental

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Ok, I browsed through this subforum and couldn't find a thread about banking risk specifically. The risk I am talking about is just fraud. I'm not as concerned about currency risk and other economic risk factors since that kind of risk is a bit clearer. I've done some research and it again seems to have some conflicting information. On one end, it seems banks owned by Ukrainians are mob fronts for money laundering, then on the other end there are seemingly 'safe' international banks owned by western countries. However, I've read that westerners lost money from a bank owned by BNP Paribas. So... How safe are international banks in Ukraine in terms of fraud?

Online Tnic

• My own TITLE? omg, omg, omg.....
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3045
  • -Receive: 1312
  • Gainfully unemployed
My only exposure is to use their ATMs to draw funds from my safe & secure US bank.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!!

Online K24

• Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 53
Depends on what you mean with fraud.  There was apparently for example a case of theft from a safe at Raiffeisen Bank Aval in Kiev a year ago or so.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1279
  • -Receive: 1034
  • 100% Against jellied eels

Always check your bank statements for unwarranted charges. 

Do a search here on this website for that topic.

Offline Euriental

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Depends on what you mean with fraud.  There was apparently for example a case of theft from a safe at Raiffeisen Bank Aval in Kiev a year ago or so.

Yes, that kind of risk as well. Maybe I should have just broadened it to "illegal" activities?  :) It leaves me scratching my head about how foreigners protect themselves while doing business in Ukraine...