Author Topic: Point counterpoint  (Read 154 times)

Offline Kord

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 350
  • -Receive: 235
Point counterpoint
« on: 17:50 11-Jan-2018 »
A couple of people posted these on another site:

Just a link to the Forum thread is better than cut and pasting:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Not trying to divert traffic but there are some good stories and info
« Last Edit: 18:05 11-Jan-2018 by Kord »

Treat people the way you want to be treated. Talk to people the way you want to be talked to. Respect is earned, not given.

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3133
  • -Receive: 1359
  • Gainfully unemployed
Re: Point counterpoint
« Reply #1 on: 18:55 11-Jan-2018 »
Sounds like the OP was talking on the ph or somehow stood out as a feriner. 

He disregarded the common sense rule to keep your stuff buttoned up when in close quarters like a bus or metro where these things happen.
If you didn't come here to be insulted where do you usually go?

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1394
  • -Receive: 1159
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #2 on: 22:04 11-Jan-2018 »

I think you are right.

I have seen them treat different ethnic groups / nationalities differently.  Also different levels of curiosity. 

For example, when they stare at me: I get the feeling that they are thinking "white people in America look different to white people here" ... I really get that vibe ... like they're just checking out how our faces are a bit different from theirs.  It's a little weird, but ok ... it doesn't really bother me.

But when I was in center, Kyiv, near one of the African embassies there were really chocolate Black people going in and out of that building and the Ukrainians were afraid to look at them at all. No eye contact with them at all.  I noticed that.  It was like they were afraid the Black people would bite them.

That guy's story, the OP, does not surprise me in the least; it sounds credible.   

Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.

Offline Kord

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 350
  • -Receive: 235
« Reply #3 on: 01:41 12-Jan-2018 »

I think you are right.

I have seen them treat different ethnic groups / nationalities differently.  Also different levels of curiosity. 

oh no doubt. On the Metro there was a gypsy family at one end and all the Ukrainian bunched up at the other end of the wagon. iirc it was a man, his wife (she was bouncing a baby on her knee) and across the aisle their boy maybe 8-10 y.o.

They call them Tsayhanni or something like that. The rule is don't touch them or bother them.
I've talked to a few of them (usually women walk up looking for money). I like to tease them a little like ask them why they need money when they look very well fed. Or I ask them are they going to buy vodka with the money..  :D :D ;)
Treat people the way you want to be treated. Talk to people the way you want to be talked to. Respect is earned, not given.

Offline David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 821
  • -Receive: 1173
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #4 on: 02:54 12-Jan-2018 »
In Bahrain thieves are flogged.  I am not sure the victim would have come out much better in many parts of the U.S. than in this Ukrainian situation.  In some American cities if you tell the cops who has your stolen car and where it is, they won't do anything.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 08:41 12-Jan-2018 »
In some American cities if you tell the cops who has your stolen car and where it is, they won't do anything.

Are you sure? 

Generally, Police in the US are pretty good in following up on stolen motor vehicle reports, and even traffic cops check ownership as a matter of course and run theft checks during basic stops.

Offline kyivkpic

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1447
  • -Receive: 1366
« Reply #6 on: 09:25 12-Jan-2018 »
In some American cities if you tell the cops who has your stolen car and where it is, they won't do anything.

Are you sure? 

Generally, Police in the US are pretty good in following up on stolen motor vehicle reports, and even traffic cops check ownership as a matter of course and run theft checks during basic stops.

Indeed. The police I knew ran registration plates all the time. If they were behind you at a red light, they would run your plates. They have a laptop in the console with one damn thorough database that can be checked in seconds.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline David Rochlin

• Vip Lounge member
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 821
  • -Receive: 1173
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #7 on: 11:17 12-Jan-2018 »
Only a little over 12% of cases of auto theft are resolved by arrest or prosecution in the U.S.  Authorities in many cities just are not interested.  That is not true of all cities, but some police forces have simply capitulated.

Online Reggie

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 18:22 12-Jan-2018 »
Only a little over 12% of cases of auto theft are resolved by arrest or prosecution in the U.S.

Don't confuse cars going over the US/Mexico border into chop shops with the police doing nothing.

Yeah, US cops aren't Batman; they're not going to swoop into Tijuana or Juarez Mexico to find your Volvo's radiator. 

But in my experience US cops are pretty good at checking for stolen motor vehicles because they worry they will be used in other criminal offenses, including those that put officers' lives at risk.